snow plow question for my riding mower

bkm48198

Threads
I have an older model Riding mower ( 917252500 ) and would like to get a snow plow for it so I don't have to shovel snow this year, we had a record amount last winter, I just don't know which plow will work for it. If anyone knows what model plow it takes I would appreciate the info. I have looked on Craigslist and see a few different plows available but don't know which style would fit and work properly.

gfp55

Threads
I have an older model Riding mower ( 917252500 ) and would like to get a snow plow for it so I don't have to shovel snow this year, we had a record amount last winter, I just don't know which plow will work for it. If anyone knows what model plow it takes I would appreciate the info. I have looked on Craigslist and see a few different plows available but don't know which style would fit and work properly.
I think you have a Sears Craftsman rider, if you look up your model rider at Sears parts online you should find the info you are looking for, then you can shop around on craigslist, ebay, forums, etc for the snow blade you want.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have tried to plow snow with my garden tractor. I didn't work that well for me. You will need weight and tire chains if you do try it. You have to remember that when the snow gets deep and you have a lot of ice only one wheel drives, I couldn't bank the snow. I only tried the plow one year and then got a snow blower for the tractor. The snow blower works very good.

bkm48198

Threads
I have tried to plow snow with my garden tractor. I didn't work that well for me. You will need weight and tire chains if you do try it. You have to remember that when the snow gets deep and you have a lot of ice only one wheel drives, I couldn't bank the snow. I only tried the plow one year and then got a snow blower for the tractor. The snow blower works very good.

Chains and weight are a must, but I have plowed with lawn tractors quite a bit in the past, just not sure which plow will fit this tractor. My dad had a plow for our tractor when I was a teenager and now that I'm in my 50's I am tired of shoveling and want to use the tractor for more than just mowing the grass and picking up leaves in the Fall. With a set of chains, wheel weights, and some extra weight in the grass catchers I should not have much of a problem unless we get a lot of snow while I am at work, and pushing it is much easier than shoveling it, I'm not as young as I once was. If I can find the correct plow that fits this older model tractor it will make my life easier this winter. I have upgraded the engine to a 17hp from a 12hp, that should give me enough power.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Chains and weight are a must, but I have plowed with lawn tractors quite a bit in the past, just not sure which plow will fit this tractor. My dad had a plow for our tractor when I was a teenager and now that I'm in my 50's I am tired of shoveling and want to use the tractor for more than just mowing the grass and picking up leaves in the Fall. With a set of chains, wheel weights, and some extra weight in the grass catchers I should not have much of a problem unless we get a lot of snow while I am at work, and pushing it is much easier than shoveling it, I'm not as young as I once was. If I can find the correct plow that fits this older model tractor it will make my life easier this winter. I have upgraded the engine to a 17hp from a 12hp, that should give me enough power.

Yes a plow sure beats a shovel. I don't know what you have to clear the snow from but I am comparing a Michigan winter to a New York winter. When I had the problem is when we had the deep snow with a lot of ice under it. The power didn't matter but I lacked traction to pile the snow. If you have the room to do so just make sure you push the snow back far enough so you will have room for the newer snow. Don't know how your tractor is set up to take a plow or if is was ever a accessory. You might have to make up something fit it and lift it. I just got the plow outfit for my ATV for this winter and going to give that a try. You might be able to make a ATV plow fit your tractor if you can't find anything. I am going to say for the cost of a plow for your tractor it would be easier and cheaper to pick up a good used walk behind snow blower and it will do a better job.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If there is any amount of snow on your tractor will need chains for sure and possibly weights to even go to the mailbox without a blade. Just don't ask how I know. :laughing:

The secret to making both wheels do their job is to ( when possible ) keep the tractor level side to side.

bkm48198

Threads
Yes a plow sure beats a shovel. I don't know what you have to clear the snow from but I am comparing a Michigan winter to a New York winter. When I had the problem is when we had the deep snow with a lot of ice under it. The power didn't matter but I lacked traction to pile the snow. If you have the room to do so just make sure you push the snow back far enough so you will have room for the newer snow. Don't know how your tractor is set up to take a plow or if is was ever a accessory. You might have to make up something fit it and lift it. I just got the plow outfit for my ATV for this winter and going to give that a try. You might be able to make a ATV plow fit your tractor if you can't find anything. I am going to say for the cost of a plow for your tractor it would be easier and cheaper to pick up a good used walk behind snow blower and it will do a better job.

I have plenty of room to push the snow off to the side of my driveway, last year I ended up having to move the 3ft pile of snow from where I had piled it up over about 6ft so there was room for the new snow no be put somewhere. I am hoping we don't get as much this year as we did last but want to be prepared in case we do. I have a small snow blower that isn't powered to the wheels that is OK if there is only a few inches but doesn't do much good over 4 inches at a time, just too hard to push it through deep snow. On Craigslist there are plows selling for $50 to $125 which isn't bad, for the price I'm willing to give it a try, walk behinds that are powered are starting around $250.

bkm48198

Threads
snow 2013.jpg2013 snow.jpg
These pics were early in the season last year, the pile between the car and truck had to be moved to the far side of the truck. Before everything started to melt the wall by the truck was over 4ft high and about as wide. The garage faces East and snow swirls around making it deeper in that area, out in front of my house I had 2ft drifts, last winter was not fun, we ended up with 94.8 inches, a few years ago I didn't even have to use my shovel, every time it snowed it warmed up the next day and melted. I just want to be ready if we do get hit hard again this year.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
On Craigslist there are plows selling for $50 to $125 which isn't bad, for the price I'm willing to give it a try, walk behinds that are powered are starting around $250.

Now that isn't a bad price if they fit your tractor. Now when I installed my plow on my ATV it cost me over 100 dollars for the brackets and hardware to make it fit, rise and lower. Its just more then buying a plow. Also you will need wheel weights and chains. Just do the math and I bet that 250 dollar snowblower is cheaper and will do a better job. Of course you know what you want and all I am saying don't get over your head with the plow because it looks like you get a lot of ice in the pictures. I have been removing snow for a good many years and found the easy way is have someone plow it with a truck but that is $$$'s. When I was working I always didn't have the time to do my own.

bkm48198

Threads
On Craigslist there are plows selling for $50 to $125 which isn't bad, for the price I'm willing to give it a try, walk behinds that are powered are starting around $250.

Now that isn't a bad price if they fit your tractor. Now when I installed my plow on my ATV it cost me over 100 dollars for the brackets and hardware to make it fit, rise and lower. Its just more then buying a plow. Also you will need wheel weights and chains. Just do the math and I bet that 250 dollar snowblower is cheaper and will do a better job. Of course you know what you want and all I am saying don't get over your head with the plow because it looks like you get a lot of ice in the pictures. I have been removing snow for a good many years and found the easy way is have someone plow it with a truck but that is $$$'s. When I was working I always didn't have the time to do my own.

The ones for $50 were possibly missing parts, but the ones around $100-$125 were complete but might need a few bolts for the frame. Sears has a new plow for $233 now that says it will fit 917 models. Weights and chains are going for $30 to $50, but some of the plows for sale come with them, just not sure of the tire size they fit, might be smaller or larger than mine. The only problem with a snowblower is it will have an engine that I don't know how well it was maintained, will it want to start when it's 20 degrees outside, it's hard to tell if it will throw the snow now since there is no way to test it where a plow is basically a hunk of metal that just needs to turn left, right, and move up and down.I always start and run some fuel thru my snow-blower before it gets cold out, but once it is needed it can be a pain to get running. There are a couple tractors with plows already on them selling for $200-$300 with weights and chains too..........lots of different options, but I know my tractor has a good motor, new pulley and belt, starts good and doesn't need anything, and would be better to run it a few times during the winter rather than just sitting for 4 or 5 months without being moved just to keep everything lubricated.