Repairs My blade won't stay tight? Also, should blade adapter have some play in it?

TonyPrin

Threads
  • / My blade won't stay tight? Also, should blade adapter have some play in it?
Picking up leaves I hit a baseball size rock which caused my blade to loosen a little. Now I can't get the blade to stay tight for more than 50 yards. I'm going to replace the blade but noticed the blade adapter has a small amount of play because the sprocket does not fit snugly to what I think is the crankshaft. I take it this happened as a result of the blade starting and stopping hundreds of times. Is this slight play in the adapter OK? If not, should I replace it?

Also, what can I do to get the blade to stay on tightly?

My mower is a Craftsman 917.388861. I have no problems with operation, beyond the blade.

BTW, I'm asking a second question on blades.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Picking up leaves I hit a baseball size rock which caused my blade to loosen a little. Now I can't get the blade to stay tight for more than 50 yards. I'm going to replace the blade but noticed the blade adapter has a small amount of play because the sprocket does not fit snugly to what I think is the crankshaft. I take it this happened as a result of the blade starting and stopping hundreds of times. Is this slight play in the adapter OK? If not, should I replace it? Also, what can I do to get the blade to stay on tightly? My mower is a Craftsman 917.388861. I have no problems with operation, beyond the blade. BTW, I'm asking a second question on blades.

The blade is not the problem.

Replace the the adapter and bolts.

The adapter is loose because you hit a big azz rock.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Replace the the adapter and bolts.

This I agree with this first of all, but if you have a problem with replacement you can use JB weld to take up the looseness and Loctite on the bolt. Just remember you are talking about a sharp blade that is spinning very fast that you don't want to go flying.