Gravely Promaster 44Z Fuel Problem

satman858

Threads
Hi guys!

Let me give what info I can and see if it can help you in knowing what my problem might be. A couple of weeks ago I went to cut my grass and it ran about 5 minutes and then the motor killed. Now the it won't stay running, unless the choke is on, and even then it try's to kill until I wiggle it back and forth. It is of my opinion it may be one or more problems from the following list below.

1. Since I can keep it running by wiggling the choke, the carburetor may not be getting enough fuel when the choke is released.

2. A gasoline line leak.

3. A vacuum leak.

4. A dirty or bad carburator.

5. The gasoline caps are not holding a vacuum.

6.Moisture in the fuel tanks

7. Trash in the fuel tanks.

* Take not that at first I thought it might be bad gas, so I tried putting Sea Foam in what gas I had left in the tank be I still have the problem. I also changed the fuel filter, and checked to see if fuel ran pass my fuel filter, and it was pumping though.

What do you guys think is my problem?

satman858

Threads

Mikel1

Threads
If the fuel flow is good to the carb then I would clean the carb.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is no service manual at that link you gave me. There is only a owners and parts manual when keying in my model and serial number, and the owners and parts manual has no troubleshooting information.

Post your model and serial numbers please, as well as engine manufacturer & model number for engine.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Seafoam* works best when added beforehand with your new gas..

Dry Gas (imo) would be a better option if ya thought it was water in fuel..

Sounds like symptoms are pointing to your carb..

satman858

Threads
If it is water in the fuel then why can I keep the engine running when operating the choke, (which I believe sends more gasoline to the carburetor) but then the engine kills when adjusting of the choke position down which is sending less gasoline to the carburetor?

I may be wrong but it seems to me that it might have something to do with the amount of fuel to the carburetor, as I can't see it being able to run with water in the gasoline. If I am wrong feel free to tell me.

I only use non-ethanol gasoline in my ZTR mower.

1.) Do you think I could try first adding some Heet Gas-Line Antifreeze and Water Remover treatment, and try to siring it around to my existing gasoline even with the fact that I put Sea Foam in it already, or should maybe I mix the Heet with a fresh gallon of gasoline outside of the tank, and use the combine mixture of Heet to equal the existing gallon in the tank, along the fresh gallon of gasoline outside of the tank?

2.) Do you think my next course of action should be to try draining out the gasoline from the side that has the less gasoline in it, and doing what "7493" said, by mixing Seafoam with new gasoline in my gasoline container before adding it to the tank on the mower, then switch over to that tank?

That way that would eliminate the total possibility of water in the gasoline tank.

If you guys feel it would not be a problem doing one of the two ways above I listed in question #1 I will try that first, then try question #2 second.

What do you guys think I should do next?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mechanic mark,

I found the service manual for my mower, but the troubleshooting section to my eye did not help me to definitively tell me my problem. The service manual is listed in the attachment below.

Attachments

• Kawasaki Lawn Mower Engine Manual.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like symptoms are pointing to your carb.. If you're keeping it running with the choke, that doesn't sound like water in fuel.

I'd be checking the carb & intake for air leaks. You can do this by using a water spray bottle (full) & w/engine running, spray the connections at the carb to intake, & intake to head(s). Take your time & pay attention & only do one connection at a time, to rule each section out.

If it has an air leak, it will run extra crappy or even shut off, because of the water getting in..At the connection that causes this (if it does), that would be the leak to fix.

satman858

Threads
Sounds like symptoms are pointing to your carb.. If you're keeping it running with the choke, that doesn't sound like water in fuel.

I'd be checking the carb & intake for air leaks. You can do this by using a water spray bottle (full) & w/engine running, spray the connections at the carb to intake, & intake to head(s). Take your time & pay attention & only do one connection at a time, to rule each section out.

If it has an air leak, it will run extra crappy or even shut off, because of the water getting in..At the connection that causes this (if it does), that would be the leak to fix.

Some of the older Gravely mowers have had problems with Broken Fuel Intake Lines, which Gravely has been replacing with fuel intake lines from a different manufacturer as seen by the link below. Please check it out and see what you think.

Do you think this could be my problem?

How to Diagnose and Repair a Broken Lawnmower Fuel Line - Part 1

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with Gravelys & hopefully someone else can jump in on this & help you..