Hustler Raptor Drive Belt Issues

Scythe

Threads
replace the idler. The one with the spring on it. I had the same problem. replaced the idler mowed 5 acres several times in a row with no issues.

Necroposting - bring a very old thread back to life.

(I'm looking at an SD so I will try to remember your reply)

turboawd

Threads
i've had the drive belt come off when the cross brace bolts broke and the trans was leaning.

Kensmith

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, Smitty here.

I'm reading many comments about the Raptor drive belt slipping off, but no reason why this is happening. My dealer claims no one else is having this problem and it's because I'm cutting grass which is too high.

I have been on this property 30 years, my first mower was JD 42", then 54" Husq, never had drive belt issues. I'm wondering if there is a factory fix or recall on drive belt problems, sounds like there should be.

Please let me know about your drive belt problems and fixes.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks MTWallet. I misspoke about the pulley's; I didn't count the tensioner pulley. Sorry for the confusion. Well, I bought a new belt from the Hustler dealer ($27.00!, does anyone know if I could get the same belt thru an auto parts dealer by cross-referencing the belt #?, $27.00 seemed pretty steep to me) Anyway, I installed the new belt and turned the motor over to see if I could tell where the trouble is. turns out the pulleys over both rear wheels have plastic fan blades attached directly under the pulley. If everything is aligned perfectly, there is a little less than an inch clearance between the fan blade and the belt. Two of the plastic flan blades on the left wheel pulley are bent upward just barely enough to strike the belt when rotating. I'm afraid that fan blade assembly will need replacing. I'm guessing when the belt slipped off originally it caught the blades and bent them up. It looks to be a little more than I dare to attempt to replace myself, so I'll take it to the dealer. The machine was purchased new from them earlier this year, so it's still under warranty. Do you think this issue should be covered by the warranty?

When it comes to belts ,...you are better off putting out the money for an OEM belt. That $27.00 for the belt seems VERY reasonable to me ...maybe someone on the site knows of a place for cheaper OEM belts .. I get mine @ repairclinic.com

n1969

Forum Newbie
Threads
I thought this might be a help to someone. I have a Raptor SD 54, and the other day my drive belt broke. I replaced it, only to find it would not stay on. After replacing it (putting it back on) several times, I kept looking for a culprit as to why it wouldn't stay put. While turning the belt by hand, I noticed that the pump on the right was moving slightly when pressure was applied. It was then that I noticed that the bolt on the very back of the pump was missing. Then I looked on the other side and that bolt was loose. After replacing both bolts, problem solved! I felt very foolish for not noticing the most obvious. Love my Raptor. Best money I ever spent. This is my third season with it, and this is my first problem at all. Happy Mowing!

mhavanti

Threads
n1969,

Hope you used over length grade 8 bolts, good grade 8 flat washers and double nutted or lock nutted with the same grade nuts. Problem won't be fixed, it will be cured.

Glad you are up and running.

Max