mower won't start when cold but once its hot will start right up.

mackmatt

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / mower won't start when cold but once its hot will start right up.
Hi all,
I purchased a used troy-bilt with Briggs and Stratton 675 motor recently. The previous owner thought is was a 2 cycle engine and was putting mixed fuel in it. Also he overfilled the oil.
Before I bought it I started it. Although it blew white smoke and dripped oil from the muffler it did actually start. I brought it home and drained the fuel, cleaned the carb, and drained some of the oil to the proper level. I also removed the muffler. When I did the thermostat linkage came off. I found a website that explained how to properly install the thermostat so I feel its installed properly.
Here's my issue. The mower won't start when its cold. If I mess with the plastic armature attached to the thermostat and carb spring I can get to start. When the motor is hot it will start right up. Is it possible that the thermostat is bad.
Any advice is appreciated.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi all,
I purchased a used troy-bilt with Briggs and Stratton 675 motor recently. The previous owner thought is was a 2 cycle engine and was putting mixed fuel in it. Also he overfilled the oil.
Before I bought it I started it. Although it blew white smoke and dripped oil from the muffler it did actually start. I brought it home and drained the fuel, cleaned the carb, and drained some of the oil to the proper level. I also removed the muffler. When I did the thermostat linkage came off. I found a website that explained how to properly install the thermostat so I feel its installed properly.
Here's my issue. The mower won't start when its cold. If I mess with the plastic armature attached to the thermostat and carb spring I can get to start. When the motor is hot it will start right up. Is it possible that the thermostat is bad.
Any advice is appreciated.
When attempting to start cold, remove the air filter and put 2 eye droppers ( or equivalent ) of gasoline directly in the top of the carburetor. If this makes it start the thermostat isn't bad but it has another minor problem.

common sence

Forum Newbie
Threads