Anyone know how the stop solenoid works on a Kubota T1600?

bamalam

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Anyone know how the stop solenoid works on a Kubota T1600?
Hi just acquired a T1600 which won't stop when the ignition is switched off, I've not applied +12V to the solenoid yet to eliminate it, but if I attach a voltmeter to the lead then no volts are detected when the key is switched off, so I assuming that whatever should apply +12V to this wire is not doing so. Anyone any idea where this voltage is derived in the off position please? Thanks in advance.

RoperGuy

Threads
There a small wire that comes form your coil, when attached to ground your mower should stop

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looking at the Kubota blowup, it is a Diesel, and it has a shutoff switch, which should be a simple one-wire hookup. So while running, simply unplugging it, and the engine should shut down, if not, it would be the switch not working. On some diesel, you can manually move the plunger.

Kubota Tractor Corporation - Parts List

bamalam

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking at the Kubota blowup, it is a Diesel, and it has a shutoff switch, which should be a simple one-wire hookup. So while running, simply unplugging it, and the engine should shut down, if not, it would be the switch not working. On some diesel, you can manually move the plunger.

Kubota Tractor Corporation - Parts List

Hi thanks for the reply. Am I looking at the operation of this the wrong way? I thought the solenoid was operated by a 12v current on a delay when the ignition was shut off? The manual seems to suggest that a +12v supply should be added to check the solenoid, but I don't have a full wiring diagram, so I'm attempting to crawl around and trace wires. Do you have a diagram for the T1600? I can see its available stateside but when I try to download it's only available to people living in the US with a local IP address. I'd be bvery grateful for any info please.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have tried finding a wiring schematic with little success. But on your tractor, the stop solenoid has only 1 wire? Do you have an on/off keyswitch, and a push button to crank? I have seen only a few Kubotas in my life, so I am not familiar with their features. I have worked on a lot of larger diesels though, and the solenoids are
usually very simple. So just unplugging the solenoid should shut the engine down, unless the solenoid is bad.

bamalam

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have tried finding a wiring schematic with little success. But on your tractor, the stop solenoid has only 1 wire? Do you have an on/off keyswitch, and a push button to crank? I have seen only a few Kubotas in my life, so I am not familiar with their features. I have worked on a lot of larger diesels though, and the solenoids are
usually very simple. So just unplugging the solenoid should shut the engine down, unless the solenoid is bad.

Hi fish, its a key start with the start built in. The solenoid is a single wire in, with the body being earthed / grounded to the engine. Looking at it, the solenoid needs to pull the stop quadrant on the injector when the ignition is turned off, the normal position is unpowered, I think. I'm unsure whether the "black box" on the machine has a function which powers the glowplugs on a timer, for 5 seconds when the key is turned to glowplug position, with a similar function on the stop when the key is removed. May be barking up the wrong tree, but it seems logical to me that the stop function, if it requires a 12v Pulse to operate, needs to be on a timer or it would drain the battery/burn out the solenoid if left on with key removed, that's why a wiring diagram for the T1600H would be very useful. Thanks for your efforts.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Disconnect the wire from the solenoid and run a jumper wire from the battery + to the solenoid wire terminal. You should be able to hear and feel the solenoid shift if it is operational.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The solenoid should have power when the key is on run.

bamalam

Forum Newbie
Threads
Disconnect the wire from the solenoid and run a jumper wire from the battery + to the solenoid wire terminal. You should be able to hear and feel the solenoid shift if it is operational.

Many thanks I'll try it tomorrow.

paul

bamalam

Forum Newbie
Threads
Many thanks I'll try it tomorrow.

paul

Thanks to all who replied, I now have a T16000 manual with the basic wiring diagrams. Looks like the "combination box" is gone, its Kubota's safety circuitry to keep operator safe but seems, to be less than reliable, plus costly to replace!! Anyway, the stop solenoid requires a +12V pulse from this box to operate, it should only operate when the rider leaves the seat with the PTO engaged or you want to turn it off, box then sends an 8 second +12v pulse to the solenoid to turn off the fuel, and then resets ready for the next start. Solenoid is only operational for a few seconds at the end of each period of use. I've tested it, as others have said with a simple +12v lead and it works fine, tested the output from the combination box and there is no pulse when the key is turned off plus the safety circuits don't work either. Box is over 」100, if available on a old machine, looking at it I can do a simple stop button with a time delay relay for 」3, press button and relay will send a pulse for approx. 8 seconds to mimic the box. I have a similar issue with the glow plug cct, the main feed is via the key switch, so a heavy current flows directly to plugs but box sends an 8 second pulse to the glow plug lamp to advise user when to start, again I'll use a simple delay relay to by pass.