Craftsman 21hp mower model# 247.28885 quit running.

TriCity330

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, I was 3/4 finished mowing my lawn when all the sudden I noticed an audible change in the sound of my engine. It sounded like it was clogged w grass or it was choking down or perhaps a compression issue. Shortly thereafter, the mower cut off.
Since then I have not been able to get it to run. It is very hard to turn over. I have replaced battery, checked all the safety switches, removed n cleaned the carburetor, removed old gas, bought n put new gas, checked the gas cap, checked the solenoid, blew out the air filter, replaced the spark plug. I removed n grounded the plug n it gets a good spark. The engine turns over easily when plug is removed as well. This tells me the plug, solenoid n battery are good. I took off air cleaner n tube n sprayed starter fluid directly into the carb. I got it to start but it ran very rough so I cut it quickly off. Seemed like a compression issue so I followed YouTube video to check valve adjustment. Upon inspection, valves were very loose. So much in fact, the metal cap on the end of the rod had fallen off. I adjusted valves as per video to .004 on both. I tried to start mower but it is still not starting and very hard to turn over. I'm open to suggestions at this point...

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Find and post the engine's model numbers.

TriCity330

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, I was 3/4 finished mowing my lawn when all the sudden I noticed an audible change in the sound of my engine. It sounded like it was clogged w grass or it was choking down or perhaps a compression issue. Shortly thereafter, the mower cut off.
Since then I have not been able to get it to run. It is very hard to turn over. I have replaced battery, checked all the safety switches, removed n cleaned the carburetor, removed old gas, bought n put new gas, checked the gas cap, checked the solenoid, blew out the air filter, replaced the spark plug. I removed n grounded the plug n it gets a good spark. The engine turns over easily when plug is removed as well. This tells me the plug, solenoid n battery are good. I took off air cleaner n tube n sprayed starter fluid directly into the carb. I got it to start but it ran very rough so I cut it quickly off. Seemed like a compression issue so I followed YouTube video to check valve adjustment. Upon inspection, valves were very loose. So much in fact, the metal cap on the end of the rod had fallen off. I adjusted valves as per video to .004 on both. I tried to start mower but it is still not starting and very hard to turn over. I'm open to suggestions at this point...

Craftsman 247.28885 - engine
2011 - 2013 LT 2000 SeriesEngine Detail:
Briggs & Stratton Gold 331877
gasoline
air-cooled

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well.......

I would take a peek at your flywheel key to start......

TriCity330

Forum Newbie
Threads
Keep choosing valve adjusting videos until it runs right. There is surely one that will be close enough. I don't see any engine on this list that calls for .004 and .004 .

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/engine_specs/briggs_valve_gaps.asp

Got a print out from Briggs n Stratton for a .003 & .006 setting. Removed the valve push rods for inspection and the bottom aluminum one was bent. I'm sure that the loose valves caused this. Question is, what other damage was done?! I read to try straightening n reinstalling so I did. I got it very straight, installed it, reset my valves at the new settings but still had no luck in starting engine. Took plug out and everything turned over good n valves seemed to function fine. I put my battery on the charger for the night. Will try again tomorrow. The engine w the plug in still seems to be off when starting. Will read up on checking the flywheel key. I suppose that could have sheared with the valve/ compression issue. I fear I may have to go inside the engine soon...

TriCity330

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman 21hp mower model# 247.28885 quit running.
Got a print out from Briggs n Stratton for a .003 & .006 setting. Removed the valve push rods for inspection and the bottom aluminum one was bent. I'm sure that the loose valves caused this. Question is, what other damage was done?! I read to try straightening n reinstalling so I did. I got it very straight, installed it, reset my valves at the new settings but still had no luck in starting engine. Took plug out and everything turned over good n valves seemed to function fine. I put my battery on the charger for the night. Will try again tomorrow. The engine w the plug in still seems to be off when starting. Will read up on checking the flywheel key. I suppose that could have sheared with the valve/ compression issue. I fear I may have to go inside the engine soon...

Ok, good news!
Battery charged full.
Rechecked intake push rod for straightness. Reinserted it n paid attention to the seating. Regaged valves to spec. Using screwdriver in spark plug hole feeling the piston rise n fall n level out. Then feeling it drop 1/4" more. Tightened everything down n turned the key. It fired up! Sounded good n blew oil all over, lol. Valves looked good, engine sounded good. Shut 'er down n I was so happy! Thought my engine was ruined. Why did my valves get so bad so quickly...I feel lucky! Moral to story...If you have an OHC Briggs n Stratton engine, adjust ur valves early n regularly. Like I said, I got lucky. If it holds up...
Thank you guys for ur help!!

Last edited:

Hydestone

Threads
Nicely done.