Cub or Cat?

Mike88se

Threads
I bought a used Scag w/ a new Kawasaki engine a couple of weeks back. SMTC-48v s/n d9103610.
Tiger Cub decals. Scag manual says it's a Tiger Cub. Scagoemparts.com and partstree.com and other online parts houses seem to think it's a Tiger Cat :confused2:
Anybody familiar with this? Doesn't matter to me cat or cub as long as I get the right parts.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
In the scag manuals, your machine is listed as a Tiger Cub and I would have more regard for Scags own manuals than reprints.

Mike88se

Threads
In the scag manuals, your machine is listed as a Tiger Cub and I would have more regard for Scags own manuals than reprints.

Yeah, getting the right parts is the thing and as long as the model and serial numbers are there I should be okay. I see you have one. Reason I asked was mine threw a belt yesterday. The belt had a crack but was still in one piece so I put it back on but it came right back off. What a pain to get a 1000lb machine out of a customers backyard and onto the trailer. Thinking about getting me an electric winch w/ a long cable ;)
I was looking at belt diagrams for the part number and they only showed 2 belts. I kept scrolling through the diagrams and finally found the drive belt listed.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Even with the bypass valves open, they are still a royal pain to move!!! Scag recommends that the drive belt be replaced at 400 hour intervals and usually the idler or tensioner pulleys need to be replaced, particularly the smaller one as it turns many more turns. Tiger Cub/Tiger Cats are pretty straight forward machines as ZTRs go. The electronic control module mystifies some folk, but it replaces up to four relays and lots of wiring that older ZTRs had.
I was looking thru the manuals, not sure what difference an SMTC model is, couldn't find anything in the manuals that identified it.
Does your machine have a folding ROPS, mine has a ridged ROPS and manual wise it is in a separate manual group as it was Briggs powered, this group was in a slightly lower price category. I had to repower mine in spring of 2013 and I installed a 30 HP Briggs commercial Turf engine. I'm pleased with this engine, but I did agonize over what to repower with as I also have a Hustler X-ONE/ 60" rear discharge deck/ 23.5 HP Kawasaki FX730V engine which is one sweet engine, but to repower the Tiger Cub was going to cost almost 2 1/2 times the Briggs. The Hustler X-ONE is in a different category than my Tiger Cub at 1,300 LBS and $10,500!!!! But the Tiger Cub is no slouch and with a collection system, is one very functional machine.
I did take the angle chart that is in the manuals and discovered that several lawns that I mow have 25-35 degree hills and the recommended limit is 15 degrees. Possibly the high angle of mowing may have contributed to the failure of the original 26 HP Briggs ELS engine, not sure, although it was still running fairly well, but had low compression in one cylinder and "sneezed" at idle, which aggravated me!!! It had 473 hours on it and was rebuilt by a friend who is a mobile power equipment service guy, and he installed it on one of his customers machines.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Mike88se

Threads
That they are. I was exhausted by the time it was on the trailer. This one has a folding ROPS. It's set up strictly for mulching. I bought it from an RV park who set it up that way due to breaking too many windows. They couldn't find the side discharge chute so I need to find one. The mower had pretty much been rebuilt... new seat, KAI engine, pulleys & spindles, hydraulics. Seems like they would have had the shop replace the belts & tires and adjust that parking brake too but they didn't. The cutting height adjuster needs some attention too. It seems like a good machine but I do miss the Gravely.
I'm not familiar with the X-ONE but I had a Super Z 54 briefly. It was a beast.