Looking for deck gear box bearing

MNBen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Snapper zero turn mower deck ZM5200M that has shelled out the top bearing on the right angle gear box.
The parts manual replaces the whole gear box. I am looking for just the bearing.
Any ideas on where to look?
If I were to look for one at Fastenal, what info do I need? Inside diameter, outside diameter, and width/height?
Ben

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Errorclick anyway

When posting please include model & serial numbers as well as all numbers from engine & engine manufacturer, it would help us locate specific parts, thanks. Locate your bearing part number & google for best price.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ben, roller ? If tapered need cup od.

MNBen

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is not a roller bearing. It looked to be a sealed ball bearing as all the balls fell out.
Power unit Model ZM2500K Serial #85565015
Mower unit Model ZM5200M Serial #85200193
The bearing came out of the Right Angle Gearbox part #5-8342

I happen to have the top seal of the bearring and it reads PEER CHINA V 620SRS. The last set could be 6205RS, I cannot tell if the one digit is an S or a 5.

My brother said to take the number to NAPA or the Farm store to see if they have a replacement. He also said to try to get a high quality bearing from SKS, Bower or Timkin.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Should be a number on the old bearing. I buy a lot of bearing off E-bay with very good prices and luck and all you need is the bearing number. Yes NAPA can also help you, just bring the old bearing to the store with you. The only time I couldn't buy a bearing with the bearing number or size was some bearings for a old 1938 John Deere tractor, they made some of there own bearing back in them years and that was the only place you could buy them.

MNBen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Looking for deck gear box bearing Model ZM5200M part 5-8342

I got the number off the bearing shield. It was a peerless. I got a new SKF from NAPA. After I pulled the busted bearing from the gear box I found a seal below it. The seal was damaged as well, so I pulled the seal.
Looking farther down in the gearbox, it appears there should be another bearing located inside as there were one and a half ball bearings sitting on top of the gear. This would explain the silver flake in the gear oil that came out. The flake was the lower bearing balls all pulverized from the gears.

I had to pull the input shaft, seals and bearing to get the output shaft out so I could remove the other shelled out bearing. The gear box was beat up somwhat inside but will still be able to be rebuilt.

I ended up back at NAPA. I bought a total of 4 bearings and 2 seals for a total cost of around $135. Parts come in next week.

I forgot to mention, I did originally drop this gear box off at my local Snapper dealer/shop. The guy said He likes to just order a new 90* gear box for $320. By the time he gets done rebuilding them with his labor and parts, the price gets pretty close to that anyway.

I figure I would only be replacing 1 bearing at first, but after I dug into it.... well. Luckily the box itself stayed intact.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ben, Good writeup and should be a classic example that sometimes it's just best to buy new or good reman. Hope you are up and running soon.