Briggs 15.5HP OHV Engine No Fire????

donb1963

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm working on a Briggs 15.5HP OHV engine on a Bolens 38" Rider. It turns over and is getting fuel but won't start. I put a tester between the plug and plug wire and it isn't firing. It's got a brand new plug in it. Could this be the coil around the flywheel or is there anything else I need to look at/test to check the problem? It also sounds like it may also have a blown head gasket (poofs when turning over) but I don't think that would keep it from firing. I'm not as familiar with OHV engines which is why I'm asking.

It sat up and got gas in the crankcase/head which I have drained and let air out. I rebuilt the carb and have it right per the lawnmower repair shop I get parts from when needed. It's got a hot battery (just charged it over night) so I can't figure out anything else. It's my mother-in-laws mower and it ran when put up last fall. I desperately need it running...

Mark1

Threads
Check an see if a safety switch is preventing it from firing, if it's a rider then the blade engagment switch will stop it from firing but it will allow it to crank.sometimes a seat switch may do it, but they usually won't let you even crank it. My bet is it thinks the blades are engaged. Let us know!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remove the blower housing and disconnect the wire on the ignition module and crank engine to see if it has fire. be aware if it starts you will need to reconnect wire to shut off engine. If it has fire there is a problem with the tractor wiring. If it does not have fire you have a bad ignition module and need to replace it.

donb1963

Forum Newbie
Threads
I finally got fire and it's getting gas... Still won't crank... It has a periodic "poof" sound when trying to start it. I got one good backfire this morning when trying to crank it but it still hasn't hit to start. It wouldn't even hit on ether. I checked the compression this morning and after screwing in the guage and turning over the engine, it didn't register anything on my automotive type guage. I'm thinking it may be a head gasket but could also be rings. The needle valve stuck and it let gas through the carb and into the crankcase. I have drained and aired that out... Someone also said it could be a stuck valve but both valves are moving fine when turning the motor over.