Mulch Cover for 917.288570

Denna

Threads
AYP no longer makes a mulch cover/plug/plate for the 917.288570 lawn tractor, nor are there any substitutions.

Does anyone know of a mulch cover that would cross reference for this model ?

Denna

Threads
Mechanic Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately, Sears only sells a mulch kit for about $70.

Having just bought a pair of G5 Gator blades, only the mulch cover needs to be replaced. Buying unneeded, lower quality blades is a waste of money.

What I'm looking for is just the mulch cover.

Since AYP no longer makes the mulch cover, a replacement will have to come from a different brand.

Does anyone know of a mulch cover that would cross reference to this 46" 2 blade mowing deck ?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Mechanic Mark,

Having just bought a pair of G5 Gator blades, only the mulch cover needs to be replaced. Buying unneeded, lower quality blades is a waste of money.

Since AYP no longer makes the mulch cover, a replacement will have to come from a different brand.

Does anyone know of a mulch cover that would cross reference to this 46" 2 blade mowing deck ?

Sears.com

backintime

Threads
Sorry, cross-checked and it won't match so I changed. Hope people give a better alternative.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mechanic Mark,

I realize this is an old post that's been resurrected but just wanted to say that I wouldn't recommend running the G5 blades with a mulch plug. They're a high lift mulching blades best used for discharging. They throw too much air to be used with a mulch plug. You'd get a lot of blowout from the deck and likely a poor cut quality. Wavy, low-lift mulching blades such as those that come with a mulching kit are the appropriate blades to use with a discharge plug.

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I realize this is an old post that's been resurrected but just wanted to say that I wouldn't recommend running the G5 blades with a mulch plug. They're a high lift mulching blades best used for discharging. They throw too much air to be used with a mulch plug. You'd get a lot of blowout from the deck and likely a poor cut quality. Wavy, low-lift mulcheimg blades such as those that come with a mulching kit are the appropriate blades to use with a discharge plug.

I absolutely agree with that. Because I have done it. Forgetting to swap my G5's for the Husqvarna mulching blades. All the mowing I did had to be recut because of the G5's. Looked good after the second cut with the correct blades.