Hi - I'm new - please advise on ZTR purchase

need-for-speed

Threads
Hello! I'm new here. Looks like there's lot's of good info here. I currently have a Sears tractor style mower, 19 HP, 42 in cut. It's 11 y.o. and still works but i'm ready for a new ZTR. Never had one.

But I want one :licking:

My lot is a 1 acre wooded lot, but I'll be mowing just the lawn which is about 1/2 acre of level, sodded lawn - easy stuff.

My current contenders are:

1. J Deere Z445 48 in cut - but I don't want to spend that much ($4,600)

2. Husqvarna RZ4824F - looks good but would still like to spend less than $3,500)

3. Toro SS4260 - this is the one I want based on specs / price - approx $2,800

But I don't know much about the quality of the various brands. Everyone says - "don't buy a crappy residential - buy a commercial" - but I don't want to spend $8K! My lawn does not need a bullet proof ZTR. I just want a good residential model.

Is the Toro SS4260 a good ZTR mower?

Thanks.

KeithAlbert

Threads
I agree that the mowers you are looking at aren't nearly as good as the big boys. However - at 1/2 acre the homeowner versions will suit you fine. Stay away from Sears! Try to go to a dealer instead of the box stores.

Dan Deleon

Forum Newbie
Threads
need-for-speed said:
Hello! I'm new here. Looks like there's lot's of good info here. I currently have a Sears tractor style mower, 19 HP, 42 in cut. It's 11 y.o. and still works but i'm ready for a new ZTR. Never had one.

But I want one :licking:

My lot is a 1 acre wooded lot, but I'll be mowing just the lawn which is about 1/2 acre of level, sodded lawn - easy stuff.

My current contenders are:

1. J Deere Z445 48 in cut - but I don't want to spend that much ($4,600)

2. Husqvarna RZ4824F - looks good but would still like to spend less than $3,500)

3. Toro SS4260 - this is the one I want based on specs / price - approx $2,800

But I don't know much about the quality of the various brands. Everyone says - "don't buy a crappy residential - buy a commercial" - but I don't want to spend $8K! My lawn does not need a bullet proof ZTR. I just want a good residential model.

Is the Toro SS4260 a good ZTR mower?

Thanks.

Stick with the Toro from a dealer (not HD or lowes).

I have a Toro and am very satisfied

need-for-speed

Threads
I agree that the mowers you are looking at aren't nearly as good as the big boys. However - at 1/2 acre the homeowner versions will suit you fine. Stay away from Sears! Try to go to a dealer instead of the box stores.

Thanks Keith. Yeah - agree on Sears. The Craftsman I have had for 11 years was good - but they ain't the same now.

Many have advised me on the Big Box stores. But I am curious - they use the same model numbers (i.e. Toro SS4260 or John Deere Z225) whether at Home Depot or at a dealer. Are they the same or different?

KeithAlbert

Threads
Well, I don't know for sure but there is no service at the box store. If it truly is the same machine then the dealer should be able to match the price and build a relationship with you for future needs. Support Mom & Pop! Shareholders don't care about you!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
.... But I am curious - they use the same model numbers (i.e. Toro SS4260 or John Deere Z225) whether at Home Depot or at a dealer. Are they the same or different?

You should be curious...
This has been beat to death several times...
IF it is the same model ... then IT is the SAME...
Shop for price... you will find most all dealerships and any authorized mower shop will be glad to do any warranty work regardless of where you bought your mower...
If someone wants to match prices, look at that if you want... but not if they are matching it by giving you two annual tune ups that they 'value' at $400 each... :smile:KennyV

C&R Lawn Care

Threads
In my personal opinion stick with exmark, toro, or scag.

Also buy from a dealer not a big box store because if the mower breaks down u get a 100% better customer service.

And another thing to consider is if u want to put attachments on it like a bagger some ztr u can't because of the horse power.

If u have any ? Ask I will try to answere them ad best as I can.

need-for-speed

Threads
Thanks everyone ! I appreciate the feedback. :cheers:

My first approach will be to see if a dealer (who services) will match (or at least get close) to the big box store prices. Actually, since MSRP is $3,099 and Home Depot is $2,899 - that's pretty close already - advantage dealer.

I am also curious if you guys consider Toro to be a good brand of ZTR. Sounds like C&R lawn care says yes, so that is good news to me.

C&R - I do plan to add the mulching kit. The Toro SS 4260 has a 22 HP Kawasaki V-Twin and a 42 inch deck. Will the mulching kit be a problem for that?

Also, I've read that the Kawasaki V twin is the cat's ass, and that is another reason I am looking at this model - for the price, it seems to have a lot of good stuff.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
You should be curious...
This has been beat to death several times...
IF it is the same model ... then IT is the SAME...
Shop for price... you will find most all dealerships and any authorized mower shop will be glad to do any warranty work regardless of where you bought your mower...
If someone wants to match prices, look at that if you want... but not if they are matching it by giving you two annual tune ups that they 'value' at $400 each... :smile:KennyV

SOOOOOOO true - so very VERY true. Parts is parts, no matter what the color they might be. If it's the same thing, and you can find it for $300 cheaper........don't worry about mom and pop....worry about YOU! If the 'mom and pop' place won't service what you didn't buy there.....do you really want to buy the whole THING there?

If they really give you great service on a good deal elsewhere....then by all means, buy from them the next time. Let that be your litmus.......:wink: NEVER pay too much over a sob story.....a good dealer has no lack of a customer base. "Why is the little guy still so little if they've been around so long?" That's what I always asked.

My :2cents:

C&R Lawn Care

Threads
need-for-speed said:
Thanks everyone ! I appreciate the feedback. :cheers:

My first approach will be to see if a dealer (who services) will match (or at least get close) to the big box store prices. Actually, since MSRP is $3,099 and Home Depot is $2,899 - that's pretty close already - advantage dealer.

I am also curious if you guys consider Toro to be a good brand of ZTR. Sounds like C&R lawn care says yes, so that is good news to me.

C&R - I do plan to add the mulching kit. The Toro SS 4260 has a 22 HP Kawasaki V-Twin and a 42 inch deck. Will the mulching kit be a problem for that?

Also, I've read that the Kawasaki V twin is the cat's ass, and that is another reason I am looking at this model - for the price, it seems to have a lot of good stuff.

U should have no problem getting a maulch kit for the toro and kawasaki is a very good motor I have two z masters with kaw motors one has like 230 hours and the other has 1500 hours never skipped a beat.