The rotten flash ads

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Those lovely ads you got for the site, Muhammad? Well, for me, the site speed went down to the level of other bloated flash-laden sites. Right this moment? The ads are down, and I get an error. The site? Back up to the speed that I was used to. I thought it was my connection.

Those flash ads from Google SUCK. Not to mince words about it, but this IS a family-friendly site....:biggrin: Otherwise, I'd tell you what I REALLY thought right now....:laughing:

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hurry and get to the top of the hill. It'll be easier going down the other side.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
I think we'll go back to the text-only google ads. :thumbsup:

I would also recommend NoScript or Adblock Plus for firefox if you want to eliminate all ads.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I like Flashblock for Firefox. If you want to see a particular piece of Flash content you can click on it. If you always want to display Flash content on a particular site, you can put that site on your white list. It works very well, conserving bandwidth and CPU power.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think we'll go back to the text-only google ads. :thumbsup:

I would also recommend NoScript or Adblock Plus for firefox if you want to eliminate all ads.

Thank you - these ads have seemingly been causing strange problems for quite a few people.

I CANNOT GET MOZILLA (Firefox) OR OPERA FOR WIN 7 64 BIT!!!!! So, I must deal with the crap that comes with IE. As soon as I can find either for my OS (from the acttual developer's website, not third-party), I will d/l immediately...:biggrin:

Don't get me wrong, they showed content-appropriate banner ads just like the text ads did, but they KILLED the speed, at least on my connection.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Absolutely. Thanks. The app is back to normal, too. :thumbsup:

Sent from my WX445 using LMF

Slater

Threads
I CANNOT GET MOZILLA (Firefox) OR OPERA FOR WIN 7 64 BIT!!!!! So, I must deal with the crap that comes with IE. As soon as I can find either for my OS (from the acttual developer's website, not third-party), I will d/l immediately...:biggrin:

#1 - +1 for Adblock and NoScript. :thumbsup:
#2 - I have never had issues with the speed on the site, but then again I have a 50mbps speed at work and 10mbps speed at home. Plus Flash never has caused any issues on my computers. I also use Chrome, IE9, and FF for this site and none of them have had display issues.
#3 - Why not just download Firefox from Mozillas site? I have W7 64bit, use 32bit installation. You don't have to have a 64bit installation in order to work for 64bit windows, you can install 32bit applications all day and not have any issues. 9 times out of 10 you won't even notice the benefit of 64bit, especially with light programs like FF. I can tell when running AutoCAD or Photoshop or After Effects with 24GB of RAM, but not with FF.
#4 - Get Internet Explorer 9 if you haven't already. Hardware acceleration and greatly improved from IE8 and I love being able to add jumplists to my taskbar with it! I am now truly split between Chrome, Firefox, and IE9. Love FF extension, Chrome Speed, and IE9 features and speed, I guess I will use them all for now :biggrin: Now I don't just use IE for web development purposes, IE9 is a true competitor!

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Any time I go to install anything that does not say specifically "64 bit", Windows won't allow me to install it, and aborts.

Is IE9 really that good? I'm tempted, because I can get extra ebay bucks if I try it.....I just figured it's yet another bloated version of IE......

Slater

Threads
Any time I go to install anything that does not say specifically "64 bit", Windows won't allow me to install it, and aborts.

I've only heard of this for like one other person, but it doesn't make any sense, especially for FF4. You have tried the latest version? I've only had issues with one or two 32bit programs that have not installed properly on W7 x64 and they were like 10 years old. Make sure you run all setups as Administrator, you could even run in compatibility mode, see if that helps.

If you try to install and the program just disappears after extraction, then you can use 7Zip to unzip the installation files to the Desktop (or wherever). You can then run the setup from there as normal.

You should not need to do any of that, but maybe your installation of Windows was screwed up from the start or got corrupted, a reformat would probably take care of it, because if you check microsofts site, FF 32 bit is supported on 64 bit systems. I have been running 64bit Windows from XP, Vista, and now 7 and have not had any issues (I have 2 personal computers, one laptop, one media center, and a work computer all running x64.)

Again, if you can't do it for any odd reason, make sure you download the latest IE in x64 format, I think its pretty good (Internet Explorer downloads - Microsoft Windows)