Shift on the fly?

handirifle

Threads
My Murray garden tractor says it's a shift on the fly? The only way I can shift gears is to push the clutch/brake in to shift and this stops it. How else do you "shift on the fly"?

Also, I am wondering, how these transmissions work. Is each speed a new actual gear, or is it a progressive pulley setup?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
My Murray garden tractor says it's a shift on the fly? The only way I can shift gears is to push the clutch/brake in to shift and this stops it. How else do you "shift on the fly"?

Also, I am wondering, how these transmissions work. Is each speed a new actual gear, or is it a progressive pulley setup?

It most likely is a variable size pulley set giving variable speed ratios...
The 'selector' usually just has a notch that allows the variable pitch pulley to stay at a location within it's working range...
Actually those arrangements can only be shifted "on the fly" as the pulley has to be turning to allow the belt to ride up or down in the V ...
If yours is not operating smoothly lube the variable pulley... (not the belt)... There should be a YouTube video... Here is one... YouTube - Variable Speed Pulley Maintenance
:smile:KennyV

handirifle

Threads
Thanks for the video. Another question. Mine DOES have a notched selector, for 5 or 6 (can't remember) forward speeds, neutral, and reverse, all in the same line. Rear to front is reverse, neutral, 1st, 2nd, and so on. I was wondering if the notched selector could be replaced with a friction selector, allowing me to more quickly and easily shift from forward to reverse, AND to be able to select speed in between the existing "speeds". It seems that if mine does have a variable speed pulley, it's just a matter of position, right?

One reason I am thinking of this, is the shifter is like using an old volkswagon shifter. There's a ton of slop in the shifter. Just thinking it would be a lot smoother and faster. In addition, on some areas, when the weeds are very tall, first gear is too slow, and second is too fast, so an in between would be real nifty. Would that idea work?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
That idiot in the video will never work on my tractor and it ain't even got no varietar. It's easy to imagine what is going to happen when that 80-90 wt. oil he doused it with reaches the belt.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Kenny, I cannot believe you posted that link.

First, this rube entitled his video with the description 'mainTAIN-ence'. Within the first few seconds, he then talks about 'yer trakter not mouvin' (after some incomprehensible babble with 'drawl' about YouTube, I think). So, I would assume he thinks you only need to "mainTAIN" stuff when it's 'dun BROKED'?

Well, every variable belt system I've come across will not change SPEED when siezed. It will be stuck in one speed. If the tractor has been used right along, that means the very tight tolerances on the shaft have widened, allowing the variable center part of the pulley to jack sideways a tad, and lock on the shaft. Oil will cure that....but "just fer a spell, here.....".

You want mainTAINence? Get a hydro, or disk drive for shift on the go. Otherwise, change the friggin pulley. Even John Deere 110's (and the RX75 RER) used this variable-pulley system....they probably invented it. The only true cure is to 'get yer trakter a new pulley'........

I'm wondering, Kenny, if you even watched the whole sad video before posting it....:laughing:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
It most likely is a variable size pulley set giving variable speed ratios...
The 'selector' usually just has a notch that allows the variable pitch pulley to stay at a location within it's working range...
Actually those arrangements can only be shifted "on the fly" as the pulley has to be turning to allow the belt to ride up or down in the V ...
If yours is not operating smoothly lube the variable pulley... (not the belt)... There should be a YouTube video... Here is one... YouTube - Variable Speed Pulley Maintenance

Just in case you edit it...:laughing:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads

To answer your question, my AGWAY is built by Murray. They all have progressive pulleys (if they are variable-speed), with a foward/neutral/reverse transaxle. (mine also has a hi/lo gear in it).

You probably have a system kind of like the JD RX75 RER, where the selector adjusts the pulley in foward gears, then pulls an arm (directly linked to the transaxle) to go into neutral and reverse. No, you can't just change the selector, because it's not a disk drive - it's a gearbox that gives you fwd/rev. motion.

handirifle

Threads
To answer your question, my AGWAY is built by Murray. They all have progressive pulleys (if they are variable-speed), with a foward/neutral/reverse transaxle. (mine also has a hi/lo gear in it).

You probably have a system kind of like the JD RX75 RER, where the selector adjusts the pulley in foward gears, then pulls an arm (directly linked to the transaxle) to go into neutral and reverse. No, you can't just change the selector, because it's not a disk drive - it's a gearbox that gives you fwd/rev. motion.

Thanks. I thought it might be too good to be true.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just in case you edit it...:laughing:

Haha haha...
I would not edit it...
I also got a chuckle from the clip...
AND I figured someone else would too... matter a fact I was hoping you'd get to see it... I guessed you would get a laugh... :laughing:and yes I am amassed at his technique, It was just a handy, easy to find clip showing the general location.
The actual use of gear oil every half hour and then every time you use the mower left me wondering how the belts still had traction in the pulleys...
You jumped in within an hour of handirifle seeing it so There was no need to head him off from poring a quart of gear lube on the VSP...
However:
The use of oil on that part is not the end of it's useful life... If it's hanging up, you are right it most likely is worn out and twisting/binding up in it's travel... With some cleaning (thats the only thing WD40 is good for)... and a bit of lube, powered graphite is good... You van get a lot of time before you will ultimately have to replace it...

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
... I was wondering if the notched selector could be replaced with a friction selector, allowing me to more quickly and easily shift from forward to reverse, AND to be able to select speed in between the existing "speeds". It seems that if mine does have a variable speed pulley, it's just a matter of position, right?

... first gear is too slow, and second is too fast, so an in between would be real nifty. Would that idea work?

As twall said you will need to select forward, neutral or reverse... but the notched selector is only holding a position within the variable range, similar to what a disc or cone drive is doing... so your idea of finding a speed between 1st and 2nd could be possible ... It may be available just by taking out the slop you described in the selector... check the linkage for worn out bushings... :smile:KennyV