Pulling the front pulleys

handirifle

Threads
some might remember my post a bit back about the Murry with the 20hp B&S that had the floating valve seat? (It's NOT designed that way, but the flat, side valved twin tends to have that problem) Anyway, it back together and running, but runs rough now, so a new engine WILL be in the future, but not before the old engine dies. I mowed the 3 acres with it just the other day, so till it dies, it gets used.

Anyway, I was replacing all the belts a couple days ago, and took a good peek at the main motor pulley, while on my back replacing the main drive belt.

What holds these pulleys on? I didn't see any set screws or anything else. When it comes time to re-engine, I'd like to know what I'm up against.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
some might remember my post a bit back about the Murry with the 20hp B&S that had the floating valve seat?
What holds these pulleys on? I didn't see any set screws or anything else.

I remember it...
Good to see you back and great that you are getting a few more spins from that engine...

If you don't see the set screws where you normally expect, look into the root of the pulley groove... Under the belt in the bottom of the V...I have found some pulleys kept that way... :smile:KennyV

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
some might remember my post a bit back about the Murry with the 20hp B&S that had the floating valve seat? (It's NOT designed that way, but the flat, side valved twin tends to have that problem) Anyway, it back together and running, but runs rough now, so a new engine WILL be in the future, but not before the old engine dies. I mowed the 3 acres with it just the other day, so till it dies, it gets used.

Anyway, I was replacing all the belts a couple days ago, and took a good peek at the main motor pulley, while on my back replacing the main drive belt.

What holds these pulleys on? I didn't see any set screws or anything else. When it comes time to re-engine, I'd like to know what I'm up against.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using a light and mirror, look underneath into the bottom of the pulley and you may see a hex head cap screw that screws into the crankshaft end. The head may be up in there a couple of inches.

handirifle

Threads
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using a light and mirror, look underneath into the bottom of the pulley and you may see a hex head cap screw that screws into the crankshaft end. The head may be up in there a couple of inches.

Will do. Thanks.