Engine Poulan Courage XT-7 Kohler 173cc mower

A_B_C

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can start it right up, run it for a couple of minutes and it starts cutting out/losing power off and on for another couple of minutes like this, then quits, then gas slowly leaks from behind the air filter until the tank is empty!! My guess is a carburetor issue. (bad float or gasket?) Tried to go into a couple stores around here that stock and sell carburetor kits to see if I can fix it myself by buying some replacement parts but everyone wants an ENGINE model number. As far as I can tell the mower model number is PR173Y22RP but they say that's not it and they need a 6 digit engine model number to sell me the correct replacement parts for the carburetor. I've searched high and low on the mower and can't find an engine model number that they swear is on one of the stickers on the mower. Any help here would be greatly appreciated, I've got a small jungle in my back yard!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Let my help you out a little. The model number is engraved in to the back of the block on the opposite end of the engine from the spark plug. It will start with XT-173 and then have a some other numbers. Sounds like you are having the classic needle valve either sticking open or closed problem. Kohler has an issue with the serial number
37xxxxxxx-39xxxxxxxxx series engines but has also effected other engines. There is no kit available and you will have to replace the carb as an assembly.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
engine model XT173-0084-EA
Carb 14-853-27-S

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The carb number that blaznt posted supercedes to a 14 853 41-s

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads