Fuel line replacement - Weed Eater 1700 trimmer

VTevaD

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, newbie here - :smile: ~ I was given a Weed Eater 1700 that looks like the one in this video YouTube - Weed Eater 1700 Engine Rebuild it wouldn't stay running, upon inspection it appears the fuel line has deteriorated and needs replacement. The line in the gas tank has broken off the cork-shaped filter that sits in the gas tank and anchors the line to bottom it appears. My question is, what is the trick for threading the new line thru the small hole in the bottom of the tank, do you just kind of stuff it or is there a trick? I assume I thread the line into it from the outside then up thru the mouth of the gas tank, attach it to the filter and then pull it back so the filter sits on the bottom of the tank? I also could use a new choke lever the very end is broken off, but it is operable with needlenose pliers so I will fix that later on. Any advice on this gas line, what the easy way to do this is and what the proper diameter of the line is would be great! PS I found a PDF parts manual online for it - http://flymo-partner.motoruf.de/FIPL/OBSOLETE/WE1700.PDF
Thanks! :smile:

scorpwrench

Threads
I think poulan/ weedeater makes their fuel line out of macaroni pasta. I've seen more of their product junked simply due to rotted fuel lines. I went to a dealer once for a new fuel line and their mechanic showed me a trick. He took a piece of fine music wire, bent it into a loop, shoved the loop through the little hole in the tank and then slipped the end of the fuel line through the loop. Then he pulled the wire with fuel line attached through the hole. I thought surely the wire would cut the line but it didn't and there pretty as can be was the new line in the tank. Couldn't have taken more than 30 seconds. I was amazed.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
All old lines turn into macaroni. :smile: It's not just Poulan.

Sent from my WX445 using LMF

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
All old lines turn into macaroni. :smile: It's not just Poulan.

Sent from my WX445 using LMF

Thats a FACT... I've got old Echo, JD and Robin engines with rotten fuel lines... they all break down given enough time... :smile:KennyV

VTevaD

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have some old guitar strings, I'll try that - is this fuel line size standard, or should I bring a piece of the old to the store when I go?
Also, looking at that parts PDF, I can't figure out what part# the choke pull lever is, does anyone see it? I am getting old and punchy.. :confused2: Is it #92 SHAFT ASSEMBLY?

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have some old guitar strings, I'll try that - is this fuel line size standard, or should I bring a piece of the old to the store when I go?
Also, looking at that parts PDF, I can't figure out what part# the choke pull lever is, does anyone see it? I am getting old and punchy.. :confused2: Is it #92 SHAFT ASSEMBLY?

Nope.. #92 is the throttle shaft...
choke is #129, and I believe it is pushed into place with the 'knob' #119...

Take a chunk of the old fuel line with you, there are several sizes all very close in size... :smile:KennyV

VTevaD

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ah that is not the exact model of mine then, this one doesn't have a knob it has a lever, but I'll fix that later, I can push it in and out with pliers for now - Maybe I'll take pix for y'all some night when I have some beer and am bored..:laughing:
PS I found this describing how to use 16 gauge wire to thread the fuel line into the tank http://www.ehow.com/how_7173907_replace-line-weed-eater-trimmer.html

Last edited: