John Deere l130 will not drive forward or backward

Wildcat

Threads
That is exactly what john deere tells everyone they sold equipment to with this rear end in it. The rear end is refillable, and rebuild able. I've done many. John deere put the wrong fluid in these when they were assembled. The rear ends were shipped to JD by tuff torq, dry, with instructions to fill them with 15w50 synthetic oil. They filled them with 10w30 instead. That runs them hot and then burn up the pump, and motor, inside the unit .

I would love to see a link to a page that states this from Tuff Torq.

fred111

Forum Newbie
Threads
From the Tuff Torq website. Specs:

Oil   SAE 10W-30 Class CD (1.9L)

twelvepointfour

Forum Newbie
Threads
I understand this is an old thread but I'm just wondering if the problem was resolved? I'm currently having exactly the same issue with my L110.

Cheers
Chris

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tuff torq sent me rebuild deails.
They specified 20W50 fully synthetic for old trannies

twelvepointfour

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. I did notice you're not the OP, did you happen to have the same problem and rectified it with a rebuild or oil change? I'll see if I can get in touch with Tuff Torq.

Cheers
Chris

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes,
I repair mowers.
Not exactly a common problem but do 1 or so every year.
Also do 1 or so imput shafts with worn out splines so rip it out and have a look.
Before you think about opening the lid, give the box a really good scrub.
A tiny amount of dust will stuff one of these boxes in no time flat.

The fit between the pulley & the shaft is not the best

twelvepointfour

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks mate, I really appreciate you responding so quick, and your advice. I'll give it a go.

Cheers
Chris

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are 2 or 3 You tube videos of pulling down that box.

stihlmania

Forum Newbie
Threads
Remove the transaxle from your mower. Turn it upside down and you can drain all the old fluid out. I refilled my LA 120 Tuff Torq with Royal Purple 20w/50 2 years ago [trans started slipping when hot at 89 hours on the mower] and it pulls uphill better than when new. I did talk to Tuff Torq on the phone [their web site says use 10w/30] and was told to refill with 10w/40 synthetic. My thinking was if 10w/40 is good, 20w/50 should be better here in central Texas with the heat! Be sure to tip it around when refilling to get all the air out and after re-installing slowly go forward and reverse when first testing, it may need more fluid to get to the full level, which is about 1/2 inch below the fill plug opening! If you need to add some, be creative in making a funnel, I used clear hose and snaked it down from a side hole near the seat. If your trans has severe damage this may not fix it and a rebuild or replacement will be needed. If it does not move after this you are out your labor and 2 1/2 quarts of oil.....plan on spilling some oil when re-filling.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I have a LA 140 and a 150 in my back yard. 1 with only 200 hours on it with a good transaxel. Have a 150 in my shop with 600 hours on it still going good with original trans. My wife uses it to pull a trailer around the yard. She also mows the yard with it. I have used it once or twice to mow a customers yard when a ztr was down and I was to busy to be a mower down. Guess you get lucky once in awhile with the cheap trans axles.