Toro SS5060 opinions

wbw

Threads
I am seriously considering the Toro SS 5060 model. I have 1.25 acres to cut once a week from April through October. I'm thinking this would be a good machine for me. It's the same as the SS 5000 model except with an engine guard and a few other extras. Any reason not to get one of these?

Thanks for any input.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cutting just over an acre, once a week, I feel that the 5060 would fit your needs well.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think you will like the 5060, a friend has the same one... Bought new over 3 years ago & no issues & he has much more to mow..

I have under 1 acre with many trees, so I recently got the 4260, & love it.. & I feel the 'extras' that come with the 4260 & 5060 are well worth it imo..

wbw

Threads
Thanks guys. So there are no known problems that I need to be aware of.

Lawn Addict
Threads
None that I'm aware of.. But I am a little new to my Toro..

Slappy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got a 5060 in 2011 and have about 250 hours on it. It has been very reliable. I have the 23 hp Kawasaki motor, which I can say is very strong.

It cuts very nice and even, even when the blades aren't super sharp. It throws clippings about 10-15 feet out the side. It can clump, like any other mower, if you let the grass get too long or cut it wet.

The battery died after 5 years, which is not bad. It has had no other service issues, except those created by me. Grass can accumulate under the cowl, and that can limit airflow and cause overheat issues, so clean it out occasionally. It doesn't say to do this in the maintenance section of the manual, but it's very important to do.

On both my mower and my neighbor's (both 5060), it does not drive 100% evenly on both sides, especially in reverse. I think it can be adjusted, but I never found it to be too annoying.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have the same Kaw engine in mine, just de-tuned to 21.5hp.

The "Tracking" can be easily adjusted right behind the rear wheels, there is a long threaded rod (see attachment below), I marked mine when new with a sharpie to keep a benchmark. (the attached pic is not of mine, but one I found on the web.)

It's best to slow down the faster side. That is accomplished by adjusting the 7/16" nut so you are winding in the nut. CAUTION: Only a very slight movement makes a big difference. Mine I've adjusted by less than a 1/16 of a turn on the nut, & it was then perfect. But if you mark it FIRST, you can always re-adjust back to factory setting.

PS: I remove my 'cowl' / engine cover after mowing season ends to check & be sure it's totally clean. My manual says check every 100 hours.

Attachments

• howtoadjustSS5060Steeringad.jpg
    howtoadjustSS5060Steeringad.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited: