Home made tiller

sweagles

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone. I have a craftsman 22.5 hp gt with the 50" cutting deck model # 917.250551. I'm wondering if it possible to convert a walk behind tiller to a pull behind. I haven't bought a tiller yet but am curious if someone has done this before and could point me towards some plans or give some advise. Any help would be appreciated.

Stan.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you have a 3 point hitch it would work but other than that it would take lots of welding.

sweagles

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. Welding wouldn't be a problem. I'm a handy fellow. I'm more interested in whether anyone has done this. What kind of tiller they used ( front or rear tines) and the reasoning for the choice. I'm thinking a small winch would work for lift and setting depth. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks

Stan

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like a lot of work. Both machines were never meant to do that. They make pull behind tillers for most garden tractors :/ or just wave down a local farmer ask him to do of for you

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
sweagles, The u tube is interesting including one where a (counter rotating) Bronco is towed behind. I just used my super bronco (counter rotation) to do my 1/3 acre of weeds. That machine will really do the job. Taking small sections it was over pretty quick. I do see several models of self powered tillers for towing on craigslist and web. They are expensive - $1200 up. My bronco was $600 new , lowes, and recently I did see them on sale at 1/2. If you have a true garden tractor there are some lightweight plows I see, but require a sleeve hitch. Many warnings about plowing with an undersized "tractor." I modded an agri-fab rock rake with training wheels so it would not destroy my lawn tractor, but the results were lousy because the rake loaded up with no way to raise it except to get down from the tractor.:thumbdown:

sweagles

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the YouTube link. I always forget to check YouTube. Valuable resource it is.After watching some of those vids, I have come to the conclusion that I'm just gonna buy a walk behind (prolly a used one),and use it the way it was intended. My tractor is old (I don't know when it was bought but it's had some repairs done on it) and the vids made it look like using it in that manner could be considered abusive. So I will save it for mowing and blowing snow. Lord knows I don't want to push a mower around here and shovelling snow is even less desirable. So I thank everyone for their input. This is a real nice forum to read on and ask questions. Keep up the good work.

Stan