JD 445 w/KAW liquid cooled FI engine turns over extremely hard

kiv

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / JD 445 w/KAW liquid cooled FI engine turns over extremely hard
I have a 445 with about 500+ hours on it. It's run well since I bought it used last year, but recently it suddenly exhibited a strange problem.

I had just shut down the tractor to take a break, and when I tried to restart it all it would do is click (solenoid) and the motor would not turn over past TDC. I pulled the engine over TDC by hand and managed to get it started with a jumper battery and back to the shop. It turns over very hard, and will only start if I pull the engine over TDC by hand first. Even then it won't always start without a couple of tries. The fuel pump sounds normal and the headlights are not dim. Here's what I've done so far:

1. replaced battery with a new one. No difference.
2. Checked for bad grounding; no problems found.
3. Removed starter and had it checked by the JD dealer; he said it was ok, but sounded like it was running a bit slow. So, I ordered a new one. Still no difference.
4. To further eliminate the possibility of bad wiring, I hooked a battery directly to the starter (negative to starter frame, positive to the + starter post. Shorting to solenoid terminal pulls the solenoid in fine and the starter attempts to turn the engine over. Still no go unless I turn the engine over past TDC first. I also discovered that if I loosened the sparkplugs a half turn the engine would start ok. Tightened them back in and the hard turnover returned.
5. The engine oil is at the correct level and does not look or smell overheated.
6. I never see any warning lights.
7.When I do manage to get the engine to run it sounds fine and seems to have the same power as before. No overheating, either.

My neighbor said he had a similar problem with his full-size farm tractor and it turned out to be a stuck valve in a hydraulic line in his 3-point hitch. Once he managed to release the pressure, the tractor started fine.Could something like that possibility happen in a 445?

Any suggestions as to what too look for or try next? I'm baffled...

Kiv

tomd999

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hiya,

Just speculation here but since you mention it's not getting over TDC, I'm wondering if the compression release is no longer working. I believe the Kawasaki's have an automatic compression release, if that has failed, it would take more effort to turn the engine during starting.

Those Kawi's are known for cam issues before a certain serial number, search for "Kawasaki plastic cam gear repair" and you'll find how to repair it if yours is affected. I'm wondering if the compression release may be an early symptom of that.

Tom

kiv

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hiya,

Just speculation here but since you mention it's not getting over TDC, I'm wondering if the compression release is no longer working. I believe the Kawasaki's have an automatic compression release, if that has failed, it would take more effort to turn the engine during starting.

Those Kawi's are known for cam issues before a certain serial number, search for "Kawasaki plastic cam gear repair" and you'll find how to repair it if yours is affected. I'm wondering if the compression release may be an early symptom of that.

Tom

Thanks for the input, Tom. I searched and finally found a service manual online for the FD620D engine that I have, but I could not find any indication that it has a compression release. I think that may be on later models of that engine.

Sure does act like that could be the problem, though!

Kiv

tomd999

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hiya,

Yep, no compression release on them. Couple other thoughts:

1) Excess carbon buildup in the heads that's raising compression ratio?
2) Engine to transaxle drive shaft joints binding?

When it shuts down does it stop abruptly or does it wind down normally?

Tom

kiv

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hiya,

Yep, no compression release on them. Couple other thoughts:

1) Excess carbon buildup in the heads that's raising compression ratio?
2) Engine to transaxle drive shaft joints binding?

When it shuts down does it stop abruptly or does it wind down normally?

Tom

I don't think #1 could be it as the problem started so abruptly. I'm kind of leaning toward #2. I think my next step will be to disconnect the driveshaft and check how hard it is to turn. It may be a problem in the hydraulics and/or transaxle.

Thanks for the advice; second opinions are of great help!

Kiv