scag starts and then stalls in seconds

mrw

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Scag Turf Tiger that stalled while using it the other day and then it would start an run for a second and then stall immediately. I pushed it back in the garage and let is sit for a while and it started immediately and then stalled after one or two seconds. I changed the fuel filter-no help. I checked the operatio of the fuel pump-ok. Still no change. I pulled the carb apart , cleaned it (no visible debris or varnish) and still it strarts and stalls again. I thought about maybe the magneto was shorting out but it does not run long enough for it to heat up so I figure since it starts right up it must be ok. Any suggestions?

CajunCub

Threads
Some Scaggs came with an "oil alert" on the engine. They have been known to fail for no real problems. Check see if your model was equiped with one, if so...check to see if it is going ground causing the ignition to sut it down.

monkfarm

Threads
Thanks, for this response and advice, this might be applicable to my situation, thank you!!:smile:

monkfarm

Threads
"Going to ground" Is there a switch on that oil alert? I should be able to check it with a multi meter> > >.

monkfarm

Threads
Some Scaggs came with an "oil alert" on the engine. They have been known to fail for no real problems. Check see if your model was equiped with one, if so...check to see if it is going ground causing the ignition to sut it down.

Should those "oil alert" be equiped with only one wire? I have 2 "sensor" type bolt ins with 1 wire coming out of each one of them. One is between the valve cover and carburetor, and the other further down on the same side (27 hp kaw FD 27D on a scag cougar. They both look like they are temperature sensors to me with one wire coming off. How could this be a shutdown? and could I just disconnect it to try to see if this is the problem?
Dean

Last edited:

monkfarm

Threads
"Going to ground" Is there a switch on that oil alert? I should be able to check it with a multi meter> > >. Could I just disconnect the wire and disable it in that way?

Last edited: