Kohler Couger XT-7 & Courage XT-7

Scripkilla

Forum Newbie
Threads
I copied this post from one I posted in the new member area. I figured it would get a little more view-ability here! Thanks in advance for any feedback:

Hi everyone, first post on this forum. Looks like a very helpful site! Anyway, I could not resist posting because I also have A lawnmower with this kohler xt7 engine. It's the last year toro super recycler (bought in april). I have always purchased lower line $200 dollar yard machines and decided to spend some more $$ and get a higher quality one. This mower was awesome all year long - started on the first pull every time. Followed the service schedule to the tee since I paid over $500 for this thing (replaced plug, drained oil, run it dry prior to storage and changed air filter). Went to fire it up this spring and it ran for about 2 minutes and choked out. Would not restart! I thought maybe a put old gas in it since the gas I used was about 3 months old - 87 oct. Replaced with new and still would not start. I talked to my local Toro dealership and they said to unscrew the nut on the carb bowl and make sure fuel is flowing through there. Flushed it with new fuel and the fuel went through successfully, but since i have no experiene with this i dont know if there was a partial blockage. Still did not start so i took it in to them and after about 1 week they said it was burning oil and some gasket had a leak? I am still learning about how these engines work, but for a 1 year old motor this is unacceptable. They are still checking with kohler about a kit to fix this and if it is covered under warranty. I will be furious if they come back and say it was "bad gas". I am wondering if what js is speaking of related. This mower may have about 15 hours of use!

myost7

Forum Newbie
Threads
re: Kohler Couger XT-7 & Courage XT-7

I have the same problem with mine only my kohler engine is on a husqvarna I took mine to a kohler dealer who replaced the carb but said they had to use a different model carb because Kohler did not stock that carb because it was so new when I got it back it ran rough was hard to start and only worked mabe three times when I pulled the spark plug today it was covered with gas and oil what a piece of crap I also have two ridding mowers a craftsman and a troy bilt the craftsman has a b/s twin cylinder the troy bilt has a kohler 20 hp single cylinder the craftsman starts right up but the kohler always needs a spray in the carb to start what a joke I will never buy a another Kohler engine again!

Scripkilla

Forum Newbie
Threads

Just got an update from the repair shop (over 1 week). They have the replacement 'kit' coming and it was determined there was an issue with the parts being machined wrong. Something about a hole being drilled too small which is causing a build up of compressed air and forcing oil/gas into the carb? Whatever it is, I'll let you know what becomes of it...

Last edited:

myost7

Forum Newbie
Threads

Thanks that will help

Joe Maintenance

Forum Newbie
Threads

Boy, do I feel like a real Bonehead!
After several attempts of trying to start my new mower, I had to rest my arms, so that I wouldn't have a separated shoulder to deal with. While I rested, I went back and reread the manual on how to get the mower started, (Mine came with no primer push button or starter switch).
Again I headed over to the mower and looked at the front of it, to my chagrin, there it was, the rubber spark plug cap, hanging down and off of the spark plug...
Wouldn't you know it, after placing the connector onto the spark plug, the very first pull had the mower running!

Carl in CT

Threads

Kohler has gone way down hill over the last several years, I would not buy any Kohler engine if I could help it. I've had two Kohler Commands and they were both bad. The Kohler Cougar XT-7 is a rebranded engine made in China. I'm not saying they are automatically bad but they are not what you think of when you pay extra for the Kohler name. Although like I said, even the "real" Kohlers, including their flag ship Command series are not very good in my experience so maybe the Chinese Kohlers are better, they can't possibly be worse.

ktgfk1

Forum Newbie
Threads

Here is what I have figured out about this:
First my mower: MTD Pro (from menards)
Ran fine the first year. Every start since then it has problems and I have to pull apart the carb to get it to run. I'm getting very fast at this. I knew nothing about small engines until I had to figure this out.

The problem is a stuck Fuel Inlet Needle! (Look at Figure 5-12 of the engine manual - exploded carb view). The inlet needle has developed some kind of corrosion on it and it STICKS. There is a float and a tiny spring which should regulate the fuel inflow through the hole the Needle is in. When the cup is full, the float pushes the needle up to stop fuel inflow. When the fuel level drops due to fuel usage, the float falls and lets more fuel into the cup therefore keeping the fuel level constant (at least how it is supposed to work).
If the needle is stuck in the UP position, NO FUEL gets to carb. If needle is stuck DOWN, engine flooded, and fuel keeps on flowing out filling the cup and eventually starts to drip out the air intake.

I can now get the carb off, cup off and pull the needle out in less than a couple minutes. I scrape the sides of that little needle with a fingernail to remove the rough stuff (corrosion?) that builds up (even between mows) and reassemble. I make sure needle moves up and down as the float moves while reassembling.
It then starts and runs fine.

I have replaced the fuel line with one that has a 1/4 turn shutoff valve so I don't have to drain the tank or clamp the line each time.
I'm trying to find replacement parts to fix this problem for good!!!

Carl in CT

Threads

I have had good luck buying small engine parts from Pat's Small Engines Plus Small Engine Parts, Lawn Mower Parts, Marine Parts, ATV Parts, Dirt Bike Parts, Snowmobile Parts and More. and Tulsa Engine Warehouse TulsaEngineWarehouse.com - How To Guide: Repowering With A New Engine Others have said they use Partstree.com.

Pat's helped me figure out what carb I needed for my old snow thrower over the phone, very knowledgable, professional sales person. I got the right carb and my snowblower was like new again. I also just bought a bunch of parts for my Toro/Wheelhorse tractor with Kohler Command engine for dirt cheap. Got a brand new carb on clearance for $43. If I were you I'd just get a rebuild kit for your carb which should include a new needle, spring, cross pin, etc for around $10.

Good luck!

crappy_kohler_xt7

Forum Newbie
Threads

CARL in CT...... Do you think just a new needle/spring/pin will fix this?.... I don't. I have the same gas leak problem with my Ariens A173K22 / Kohler XT-7 . First it was the plating in the needle vavle. I cleaned it up myself and it worked for about a month until I left it for over two weeks. Gas on the floor again. I opened it up, took the valve and float out finding no apparent problems. Put it back together and it worked for the day. Several days later, gas on the floor. I clamped the gas line with small vise-grip until next mowing. Unclamped gas line, gas all over the floor. Took out the valve & float. found no problems, put it together.... it worked for the mowing. Days later... gas on the floor. I clamped the gas line. This is now my routine. What are we going to do? The routine all the time? Purchased 8/10. Have not gone through the trouble of bringing in for warranty repair. That might be more hassle than it is worth @ my location. I am also having some auto-choke problems. Once started, I already have my air cleaner off and have to hold the plate open for 30 sec or so or the engine will flood out. I have to run it for about 3 mins standing(not cutting grass) until the heat from the exhaust/choke control keeps my plate open.

crappy_kohler_xt7

Forum Newbie
Threads

ktgfk1.... we have duplicated eachothers efforts. Let's keep posting our solutions here. I think I will FINALLLY pursue warranty work next week.