Kohler Couger XT-7 & Courage XT-7

ktgfk1

Forum Newbie
Threads
re: Kohler Couger XT-7 & Courage XT-7

I just ordered a whole new carburetor. It appears you can't buy the individual parts for this engine model. Total was $30.04 shipped. I will see if this fixes the problem. I imagine it will, at least for this mowing season...

Carl in CT

Threads

I don't know if a carb rebuild with new needle and spring will fix it but often times if a needle is getting stuck, as you said, a new one will help and it's the cheapest thing to try, which is where I try to start. It sounds like the whole thing is low quality which doesn't surprise me with a Kohler, especially the Chinese made XT line. Obviously if you can get a whole knew carb for $30 shipped, that's the best thing. That said, I hope the new carb doesn't have the same problems. I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on tv :biggrin: I was just saying what I would try if bringing it in for warranty work is a huge hastle.

Anyway, good luck to everyone, I feel bad you are having such trouble with new engines. It's a shame Kohler has gone cheap like this because they used to make some of the best engines out there.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads

I don't know if a carb rebuild with new needle and spring will fix it but often times if a needle is getting stuck, as you said, a new one will help and it's the cheapest thing to try, which is where I try to start. It sounds like the whole thing is low quality which doesn't surprise me with a Kohler, especially the Chinese made XT line. Obviously if you can get a whole knew carb for $30 shipped, that's the best thing. That said, I hope the new carb doesn't have the same problems. I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on tv :biggrin: I was just saying what I would try if bringing it in for warranty work is a huge hastle.

Anyway, good luck to everyone, I feel bad you are having such trouble with new engines. It's a shame Kohler has gone cheap like this because they used to make some of the best engines out there.

I always laugh when I see this thread, because I know a cougar is either a mountain lion or an attractive older women on the prowl....:laughing::laughing:

I have a one year old Kohler XT-7 COURAGE engine on my Yardpro (Husqvarna) and have had zero problems. Did not know it was a Chinese Kohler until I saw that on LMF. $30.04 for a new carb, delivered? WHHHAAATTT? Why do you have to pay ANYTHING if it's a warranty issue?

crappy_kohler_xt7

Forum Newbie
Threads

ktgfk1, where did you get the carb? Should be a warranty issue but the work has to be done over 100 miles away! Can't get warranty parts/work over the phone or on-line. This may be the best solution.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads

ktgfk1, where did you get the carb? Should be a warranty issue but the work has to be done over 100 miles away! Can't get warranty parts/work over the phone or on-line. This may be the best solution.

Feel bad for those who are stuck with the problem XT-7's....I love my cougar, OOPS Courage powered mower....:laughing:

ktgfk1

Forum Newbie
Threads

At: Kohler Engines and Kohler Engine Parts Store, Genuine Kohler Engine Parts

search for 1485327s
That is that part number for the complete carb unit.
Currently $24.09 + shipping ($5.95 USPS priority).

I also didn't bother with warranty issues as it is not readily accessible here. Plus I already modified the fuel line, and I'm sure that would void any warranty.

Have not received it yet as of 6-6-2011.

ktgfk1

Forum Newbie
Threads

Received carb in mail today. Took 30 minutes to change out (for a non-mechanic). There are some parts that had to be moved over from the old one to the new one.
Started on 2nd pull. Ran well for the most part. I noticed a couple times it didn't sound quite right. Didn't mow as it is raining. Then had to go to work.
I left the fuel cut-off valve in the 'on' position. I'll see if the tank has any gas left in it tomorrow or if it dumps it all on the ground again...

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads

I replaced 3 of those carbs under warranty last year. just ordered my second carb for a warranty this year.

ROK247

Forum Newbie
Threads
"The problem is a stuck Fuel Inlet Needle! (Look at Figure 5-12 of the engine manual - exploded carb view). The inlet needle has developed some kind of corrosion on it and it STICKS. There is a float and a tiny spring which should regulate the fuel inflow through the hole the Needle is in. When the cup is full, the float pushes the needle up to stop fuel inflow. When the fuel level drops due to fuel usage, the float falls and lets more fuel into the cup therefore keeping the fuel level constant (at least how it is supposed to work).
If the needle is stuck in the UP position, NO FUEL gets to carb. If needle is stuck DOWN, engine flooded, and fuel keeps on flowing out filling the cup and eventually starts to drip out the air intake."

this is what was wrong with mine - that needle was so corroded and stuck in there that i actually broke the end off of it trying to pull it out! and the damn mower isnt even a year old yet. i have mowers out back behind the shed that are older than me that still run better than this piece of junk.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kohler has had problems with the diaphragm that is suppose to open the choke partway until the engines warms up and the other choke finishs opening it. Kohler is well aware of the needle valve issue with the carb built from serial number 37XXXXXXX something to 39XXXXXXXX something and if your engine falls within the specified by the kohler bulletin the dealers are replacing the carb or needle valve under warranty per Kohler instructions.