New to lawn boy - questions (with pics)

mackelrooy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all. I recently came into a Lawn Boy mower my dad and I spotted in a yard with a "free" sign on it. Being familiar with and having done quite a bit of small engine work, I thought it'd be fun trying to get this thing running again. I lack familiarity with Lawn Boys, however. It's a model 7229, serial number 8925294. Deck is in good shape, just normal wear on the paint and such. Wheels will work for now, but will eventually need replacing. I would appreciate any info anyone can provide about this mower. Most important right now, however, are questions I have about the engine, the carburetor, the best way to find parts. I'm attaching some photos. The shots of the engine block are simply for identification of the type of engine it has. I believe it is an F100 engine. If any additional photos are needed to confirm that, just let me know.

The shots of the carb are for the following purposes:
1) Identify the carb and the carb rebuild kit I need to get into working order.
2) To determine whether or not the crack in the housing around the carb adjustment screw renders the carb useless and therefore needs to be replaced.

Some immediate triage to move me toward getting the thing running:
1) Rebuild/replace the carb
2) Install a new primer bulb
3) Install a new air vane in the carb as the old one broke and won't hold the disk in place anymore.

Thanks for any help offered.

IMAG0408.jpgIMAG0409.jpgIMAG0411.jpgIMAG0419.jpgIMAG0421.jpg

dewguy1999

Threads
Welcome. I don't have the experience to offer you any mechanical advice, but it looks like it'll be a nice mower when you whip it into shape. If you go to the Lawn-Boy Support Center and enter your model number and serial number you can access some info on your mower as well as download the engine service manuals in PDF form. Hope this helps and good luck!

Last edited:

bt3

Threads
OP:

You need to download or at least view the service manual for that model, look under the CARB layout and get the part number for the carb rebuild kit.

You can then key that part number in to an online source like Partstree or even Amazon and see your choices. Parts are not hard to come by. You just need the magic part number. You can do this with any part in the service manual. Again, You just need the part number.

LawnBoys are fairly straight forward to work on. Being two cycle, there are no valves as in a 4 cycle, but you do have REED valves (that you can see if you remove the carb and look into the engine port where the carb was attached. These Reed Valves can fail, although that is rare. The carb, exhaust ports, and ignition module are the big three items to make sure are all working well. Replace the float and needle in that carb. Clean out the exhaust ports and muffler. This is important on a 2 stroke. Clogged exhaust ports can rob you of power and bog the mower down. Extreme clogging will not allow you to start and run. Make sure you have a spark from the coil. Take out the plug and check it by grounding it on the engine and pulling on the starter. If all of these work good, then you look to reed valve issues if you can't get it running. Again, this is rare. Usually the big 3 are the cause of issues.

One other area that i would suggest, keep an eye on the lower crank seal. This can be an issue with power output if it is leaking. These are not that hard to replace if required to do so. There are threads on here about how to do it, or you can just ask the question outright if you need help.

Keep us posted on your progress, but I highly advise downloading that service manual. It's a must if you want to order parts. You can research parts online but you might as well just download and print. I printed mine out and put it in a notebook in my shop. When I need a part, it's right there handy for me to look up a part number and get one ordered.

Good luck, and welcome to LawnBoy.