Snapper not cutting grass good leaves sprigs

ghyman09

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a snapper 61" with the icd deck it cuts grass like a 10 day old hair cut. My great dane is a 1999 and cuts grass like a fresh flat top hair cut. Why does it leave sprigs sticking up. The dealer has adjusted the deck 3 times still no luck. Even with brand knew blades no good,is this normal for the snapper.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
ghyman09 Welcome to LMF...
No that would not be normal ... for any mower..
I'm thinking if the same place has adjusted the deck 3 times and it has stayed bad... perhaps they are NOT adjusting it correctly.
The thing to try adjust it your self.
When you are at it check the blade... IS it on correct... the leading edge sharp and the lift wing on the top? (I have seen this more than once) all it takes is someone to mount it upside down once and no one ever gives that a look, they just check if it's sharp and never really look if it is on correct.

If the blade is right.
Check that the front is lower than the back. If it's dead level you might get a good sharp cut ... if the back is lower than the front you will get a rough cut.
The front should be around a half inch lower than the rear. You can spend a little time tweaking this to get the best cut possible from your particular deck, blade type and RPM... :smile:KennyV

ghyman09

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lawn Mower Forum <contact@tractorbynet.com>, The blades are on correctly and the deck is adjusted like you said even with sharp blades still no good cut. The deck acts like there is not enough up draft to pull the grass up to make a clean cut. My great dane when you enguage the blades it sounds like its turning 10000 RPMs the snapper sounds like it may be turnning a 5000 RPMs, can the pulleys be changed to get more RPMs. What does the ICD deck stand for anyway?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are these new blades with less lift ? Did the shop change belts and possibly have the blades turning backwards ? Has this mower ever cut well ?:confused:

ghyman09

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are these new blades with less lift ? Did the shop change belts and possibly have the blades turning backwards ? Has this mower ever cut well ?:confused:

This is a brand knew lawnmower 2nd set of blades belt has never been changed to my knowledge,the blades should be turning the right direction the grass is coming out the shoot but is not going very far maybe 5 ft at the most. T he great Dane i have slings grass out at least 20 ft or more.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can't find ANYWHERE what iCD means - but it's not a Snapper Pro exclusive. It's also available as an option on select Ferris models.

If you truly have an iCD deck, try asking this question in the Ferris forum, as well. Between the two, you might get some input that'll help.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
From what I've found, it's supposed to give more lift than a standard deck......:confused:

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can't find ANYWHERE what iCD means

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

iCD stands for - Incompetent Cutting Deck

ghyman09

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can't find ANYWHERE what iCD means - but it's not a Snapper Pro exclusive. It's also available as an option on select Ferris models.

If you truly have an iCD deck, try asking this question in the Ferris forum, as well. Between the two, you might get some input that'll help.

Snapper did buy out Ferris they may have the answer to my problem.