Repairs clutch/brake adjustment

jimbir

Threads
I just purchased a Craftsman 17.5 hp 42" Shift-On-The-Go Lawn Tractor, model #13AN77SS099. The brake grabs when the peddle is pushed about half way down (just after the drive belt is released). I'd like to delay when the brake takes hold (lengthen the peddle travel). Anyone have instructions on how to do this? Sears doesn't want the unanointed to touch it.

Thanks, Jim

mystreba

Threads
I just purchased a Craftsman 17.5 hp 42" Shift-On-The-Go Lawn Tractor, model #13AN77SS099. The brake grabs when the peddle is pushed about half way down (just after the drive belt is released). I'd like to delay when the brake takes hold (lengthen the peddle travel). Anyone have instructions on how to do this? Sears doesn't want the unanointed to touch it.

Thanks, Jim

I'm not sure you can do what you're attempting to do, but looking at the (parts diagram) I'd start with the variable rod and light rod brake (parts #32 and 33). It looks as though you may be able to make an adjustment there, but it's difficult to tell from the parts diagram. Also, I can't tell if there is a possible adjustment to be made at the bracket pedal (part #41).

Sorry, not much help.

fastback

Threads
Are you sure you have the right belt on the tractor? From what I am looking at it looks like you need to lengthen the shaft at the threaded section, but it does not look like there is a lot of adjustment. On my tractor the original manual had some very good directions to make the adjustment. I take it yours doesn't or you don't have the owners manual.

fastback

Threads
You didn't say how old the mower is. If its new you may just need to wait till the belt streches. If its used with a new belt the same thing applies. Or as I already stated the belt could be the wrong one (too short). Good luck..

fastback

Threads
Well you can do one of three things; 1. Wait for the belt to stretch. 2. Call Sears and have them come out and adjust the clutch. Try to be present and watch how he does it. 3. Do nothing, it may be how the unit is designed.

jimbir

Threads
I found the mower will not free wheel when the shift lever is in forward or reverse even when the clutch/brake pedal is pushed in far enough to disengage the drive belt but not enough to engage the brake. I suspect the ratio of gearbox is so high that it cannot be turned backward. I' sure like to see a diagram of the inside of the gear box.

Jim