Belt maintanace

Bob E

Threads
The belt in my picture was on the mower when I got it four years ago, it was old and cracking then. I'm not too worried about getting stranded in the backyard, and nothing high dollar is going to melt down when it lets go, so I decided to see how long it would last :laughing:
Cold temperature can give you an obnoxious heads up when the serpentine belt in your car is getting old, or when the spring on the belt tension pulley is wearing out, but I've never noticed much trouble beyond that with any belt. Even when the 5w30 gets so thick the starter can barely crank the engine. A good belt properly tensioned wont slip or break.
Belt dressing is for the mechanically inept who are embarrassed by the sound of a worn or improperly adjusted and now glazed accessory belt IMHO.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The belt in my picture was on the mower when I got it four years ago, it was old and cracking then. I'm not too worried about getting stranded in the backyard, and nothing high dollar is going to melt down when it lets go, so I decided to see how long it would last :laughing: Cold temperature can give you an obnoxious heads up when the serpentine belt in your car is getting old, or when the spring on the belt tension pulley is wearing out, but I've never noticed much trouble beyond that with any belt. Even when the 5w30 gets so thick the starter can barely crank the engine. A good belt properly tensioned wont slip or break. Belt dressing is for the mechanically inept who are embarrassed by the sound of a worn or improperly adjusted and now glazed accessory belt IMHO.

I started using dressing on belt drive walk behind mowers because the belts do get glazed real fast when they get wet

Bison

Threads
Wet from What??.....oil?

The only glazed belts i have seen were belts that were constantly slipping and riding in the bottom in worn pulleys.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Wet from What??.....oil? The only glazed belts i have seen were belts that were constantly slipping and riding in the bottom in worn pulleys.

Water mowing on the rain.

How does a belt drive walk behind Work.

Let's see to slow down and turn the belts must SLIP

Bison

Threads
Water mowing on the rain.

How does a belt drive walk behind Work.

Let's see to slow down and turn the belts must SLIP
Normal people cut the lawn when it is dry.:rolleyes:

I don't know,..I use a riding lawn tractor,..if i had to walk behind a mower i would buy a goat :smile:

my JD 112 lawn tractor has a variable drive which uses a primary and a secondary belt.
When i slow down or speed up the center sheave between the belts moves left or right to change speed,..it does not cause much if any slippage of the belts.
I replaced these 2 belts only once and that was many years ago.
The tractor is 42 years old.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Normal people cut the lawn when it is dry.:rolleyes: I don't know,..I use a riding lawn tractor,..if i had to walk behind a mower i would buy a goat :smile: my JD 112 lawn tractor has a variable drive which uses a primary and a secondary belt. When i slow down or speed up the center sheave between the belts moves left or right to change speed,..it does not cause much if any slippage of the belts. I replaced these 2 belts only once and that was many years ago. The tractor is 42 years old.

I wish I could just cut dry grass.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I try not to ever cut wet grass.....
Having said that, If I was in the mowing business, in Florida, I wouldn't start work until noon and I would be working in the hottest part of the day....Africa hot. Unless I wanted to work in the rain (which means wet grass) I would get about 3 hours a day of mowing time, as it's usually raining at some point in the afternoon. at least that has been the case this year/spring summer
The grass is wet every morning as we almost always meet the dew point, so I have to wait until 11 am or so to get on the tractor, less the grass will still be soaked.
You guys making a living at this, must cut wet grass to be competitive, at least here in the south.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I try not to ever cut wet grass..... Having said that, If I was in the mowing business, in Florida, I wouldn't start work until noon and I would be working in the hottest part of the day....Africa hot. Unless I wanted to work in the rain (which means wet grass) I would get about 3 hours a day of mowing time, as it's usually raining at some point in the afternoon. at least that has been the case this year/spring summer The grass is wet every morning as we almost always meet the dew point, so I have to wait until 11 am or so to get on the tractor, less the grass will still be soaked. You guys making a living at this, must cut wet grass to be competitive, at least here in the south.

I am right on the Georgia and Tennessee line.
I try and start at 7am on my foreclosed yards. Around 1pm I start doing my residential yards. At 6pm I go back to doing foreclosed yards till dark.
It rains almost every day at some point.

On days that it rains all day I just do foreclosed yards.
I can not just stay home because the grass is wet. I HAVE to get between 75 and 100 yards cut every week.

To be honest I like cutting when the grass is wet.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am right on the Georgia and Tennessee line.
I try and start at 7am on my foreclosed yards. Around 1pm I start doing my residential yards. At 6pm I go back to doing foreclosed yards till dark.
It rains almost every day at some point.

On days that it rains all day I just do foreclosed yards.
I can not just stay home because the grass is wet. I HAVE to get between 75 and 100 yards cut every week.

To be honest I like cutting when the grass is wet.

I understand what you mean about having to mow in the rain. We have had an unusually wet summer this year. Have you ever mowed in a storm? When the wind is blowing the rain sideways. I assume you stop once you see lightning. The last thing I would want to be doing in a lightning storm is pushing a few hundred pounds of steel around a lawn.:smile: