My new (to me ) RER snapper

Threads
I just got my "new" RER and since I have never used or owned a rider I have a lot of things to learn

It is a 3012x6S

I finally found the model # on a label on the battery holder. All the sites said it would be on the rear of the mower. I contacted Snapper and they said it was a
03 model. I do not think it is that new.

It is definitely not Hi Vac. It throws grass about 12 feet out the chute I need to figure a way to make this a mulcher without breaking the bank. the local repair shop said to just put a metal plate in the chute. I think it would have to curved to the same diameter of the blade to keep the clippings moving. Also, there is a long bar that directs the clippings to the chute. It
it appears that this would prevent the clippings from re-cutting. Any suggestions?

What blade would you recommend?

when i search the web I do not see a mulching adapter kit for my model. the kits i do see are way too expensive. I have some thoughts on how to rig a mulching baffle but I wanted to solicit some from those of you who have been through it

P8241228.jpgP8241229.jpgP8241230.jpgP8241233.jpgP8241235.jpg

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would just run a gator blade and still discharge.

The gator blade will do a good job making the clippings smaller. Discharging spreads them out rather then just drop clumps.

Mow Joe

Threads
Yours is a series 6, which was made in the late 80s. There's not much to do as far as mulching goes. Block the discharge and install a Gator or Ninja blade.

Threads
Yours is a series 6, which was made in the late 80s. There's not much to do as far as mulching goes. Block the discharge and install a Gator or Ninja blade.

thanks for the responses. I'll start my search for a gator blade

The blade mount has 2 bolts to hold it on and two other bolts and I do not know their purpose. they are threaded onto the blade holder with a nut and a bolt. it appears that you could tighten the bolt and put pressure on the blade and lock it with the nut. . this would in effect try to push the blade away from the mounting bolts possibly putting stress on the mounting like a lock washer would do .
or maybe these are alternative mounting bolts . I have never had a mower with this big of a blade before

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
thanks for the responses. I'll start my search for a gator blade The blade mount has 2 bolts to hold it on and two other bolts and I do not know their purpose. they are threaded onto the blade holder with a nut and a bolt. it appears that you could tighten the bolt and put pressure on the blade and lock it with the nut. . this would in effect try to push the blade away from the mounting bolts possibly putting stress on the mounting like a lock washer would do . or maybe these are alternative mounting bolts . I have never had a mower with this big of a blade before

You might be better off with a ninja blade. They are lighter and mulch very good

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
OK you gave me the bug. Im picking this up Monday for $35.00. Runs and mows fine just need primed to start. New front tire.

Attachments

• Snapper.jpg
    Snapper.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 39

Nwatson99

Threads
OK you gave me the bug. Im picking this up Monday for $35.00. Runs and mows fine just need primed to start. New front tire.

I would not go after it if they gave it to me and these people showing photos of equipment and the equipment is wet, well they are liars and misrepresenting their equipment!!

Anyway Bob your mower is too hold for mulching, just enjoy it while it is still operating.

Threads
I would just run a gator blade and still discharge.

The gator blade will do a good job making the clippings smaller. Discharging spreads them out rather then just drop clumps.

Well, I got the gator blade and it works pretty well. my yard is a mess from the original cutting with the old blade and my unfamiliarity with the rider, so I cut my neighbor's grass while he is away on vacation. I have the blade height set the same as my walk behind(measured) but the snapper still cuts too low.
I've been studying alternative manuals, can't find one for my 3012x6s, and if i move the rear chain up a link I am not sure i can get enough adjustment on the front. there must be some latitude because if I set the height at 1 the deck is on the ground.

Keep your suggestions coming, they are appreciated
Thanks,
bob the woodbutcher, formerly from KY

Threads
Thanks for all the feedback.

The new gator is installed and I ran it with the chute unobstructed but even if the clippings are smaller it still throws them quite a distance.

I tried blocking the discharge and as stated above it just clumps. I agree that this mower was never designed to mulch, but if I want to keep it I have to solve that problem.

I have a piece of heavy metal that i have radiused to about 15" and i plan to enclose the chute so there is no room for the clippings to accumulate and clump. this should make it like a mulching deck.
My other concern is the bar that deflects the grass towards the discharge chute. Will I have to cut the bar away so the underdeck is totally unobstructed?

Has anyone successfully made any modifications that resulted in making this a mulching mower?

My lawn is really too small for a rider and in some places the clippings either end up in the street or on the sidewalk/driveway if i can't contain them.