"Deck Wash" system

Jetblast

Threads
It's nice to see folks here getting their money's worth out of deck wash systems. The old conventional "internet wisdom" was that it didn't work well and would wreck your spindles, but now the truth is out there. :thumbsup:

SouthTech

Threads
Does anyone own a mower with this feature? The system where you hook up a garden hose to the deck, turn it on, start the mower, turn on the deck, and it's supposed to 'wash' the underside of the deck.

Does it work? What are the advantages/disadvantages to it? What are the problems?

I've always thought this looked like a great idea for longer deck life. At least on paper.......

We carry a line that has that attachment. I would say it works fair. Anytime you wash a deck with water you need to run the blades for a few minutes afterwards to dry out the deck and bearings.

Black Bart

Threads
Those of you that use a wash out port may want to consider what I do with mine.
I bought canister for my grease gun that is Marine grease.
It is for wheel bearing on a boat trailer, New boat trailers have a Zerk on the wheel you you cam pump grease into the bearing then submerse them in the lake.

After I have mowed and cleaned the deck I put just a little pressure against the bearing if it has any water I will force it out and if any remains it will do no harm that is what the Marine grease is made for.

Parkmower

Threads
I always turn on hose and engage PTO at idle let it run for a min then slowly raise the throttle to wide open for 2 min then slowly back down to idle. This way the blades will throw water all up the under side of deck

Tom.Parks

Forum Newbie
Threads
I use two nozzles on my John Deere LA110 42" deck and they work great. As stated earlier by another poster I start on left side of the deck (as close to the end of the blade & centered is where I located the first nozzle) and finish on the chute side (left side) last. It seems to work and works best if you do it after every mowing. If you don't there is a chance the nozzle will plug up and require cleaning. After cleaning I move the mower onto the drive way and engage the mower to dry the underside of the deck a little before putting it away.

Brucebotti

Threads
I use two nozzles on my John Deere LA110 42" deck and they work great. As stated earlier by another poster I start on left side of the deck (as close to the end of the blade & centered is where I located the first nozzle) and finish on the chute side (left side) last. It seems to work and works best if you do it after every mowing. If you don't there is a chance the nozzle will plug up and require cleaning. After cleaning I move the mower onto the drive way and engage the mower to dry the underside of the deck a little before putting it away.

I'll have to check it out on my new Toro. I thought it was a bunch of hype, but perhaps not.
Thanks,
Bruce

wilburn cox

Threads
Does anyone own a mower with this feature? The system where you hook up a garden hose to the deck, turn it on, start the mower, turn on the deck, and it's supposed to 'wash' the underside of the deck.

Does it work? What are the advantages/disadvantages to it? What are the problems?

I've always thought this looked like a great idea for longer deck life. At least on paper.......

Ref; Deck wash system. I subscribe to "Farm Show". Found this in old issue. I built a simple PVC system. 3/4" pvc pipe a few inches longer than the mower deck. Cap one end with glue on cap. Drilled 1'8" holes about 4 inches apart in straight line on one side of PVC pipe. Make sure the holes are within the side limits of the mower deck. Or you may get a cold shower. On opposite end of the PVC pipe glue a PVC T coupling. Glue 8" PVC pipe into the ends of the T so the apparatus will lay flat on the ground. Be sure the holes you drilled are facing upright. Glue caps on end of each 8" cross pipe. Now glue a short piece of 3/4" PVC into the forward part of the T and glue a PVC hose connector on it. hook up the garden hose, slide the apparatus underneath the mower deck. Turn on the water. Get on the mower, start it and turn on the blades. I have three mowers and this system will definitely keep it clean.
Good luck,

Wilburn Cox from Texas

Stevie-Ray

Threads
My brother has it on his Cub Cadet and seems to like it. I have it on my Deere LA135SE, but have not tried it as I got the mower late in the year and not much work has been done yet.