Stihl FS 45 won't start

zamboknee

Threads
I pulled and pulled and pulled at least 30 times but could not get this trimmer started. I did all the necessary stuff (prime, crank in off position a few times, flip switch up, crank again) but it WOULD not start.
Any suggestions?

possum

Threads
Try it again. If no start, pull the plug to see if it is wet with gas. If it is then check for spark. Is your fuel stale? Air filter clean?

zamboknee

Threads
Try it again. If no start, pull the plug to see if it is wet with gas. If it is then check for spark. Is your fuel stale? Air filter clean?

I'll check plug tomorrow. Fuel is good. I took the air filter out and it was a little rough looking but it still wouldn't start with filter out.
Thanks

zamboknee

Threads
Test the coil, with a meter.

Where's the coil?

possum said:
check for spark. Is your fuel stale? Air filter clean?

I put a new plug and air filter in. Cranked it and still won't turn over. Fuel is the same I've been using all season. I'll crank it and look for spark tomorrow and check back in here.

zamboknee

Threads
So I think it's flooded. The primer bulb is full. I got home from work, cranked it and it fired right up. I didn't prime it or anything.
Pic here

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
My stihl has starting problems when I prime it. floods it. Now when its hot thats the only time ill prime it. Try just choke starting it

Moe green

Forum Newbie
Threads
My stihl has starting problems when I prime it. floods it. Now when its hot thats the only time ill prime it. Try just choke starting it

Clean the spark arrestor screen.

aussierod

Forum Newbie
Threads
Test the coil, with a meter.

G'day all.

How is the test done?

With a regular multimeter I guess, and on volts?

I have FS45 that is giving me hell.

It came in my shop running at 1/5th the power.
- Tried adjusting the high and low, but no good.
- Put a new carby gasket kit in and it started running well.
- Customer came back a few days later. Machine was doing the same 1/5th power thing again.
- I pulled down the carby and checked everything was OK, but still same prob.
- Exhaust is clear. Tried to run it for a few seconds without just to make sure, but still 1/5th power.
- I tried three plugs.
- It has good wrist snapping compression
- Fresh fuel
- Good fuel lines

Next I bought a new carby of ebay.

Still running at 1/5th power.

All I can think of is a weak coil maybe?

Any ideas?

Cheers.
Aussie.

Last edited: