Any known, longer-lasting AYP steering improvements available?

goodolboydws

Threads
  • / Any known, longer-lasting AYP steering improvements available?
Has anyone come up with any replacements for the fast-wearing AYP steering components (sector gear and steering shaft/welded-on gear) on their garden tractors?

My garden tractor is a 1997 AYP HD185H46B, labeled as a Poulon 17.5hp with hydrostatic drive and a 3-blade 46" deck. I do primarlly mowing of a couple of acres, and use the tractor to pull carts, sweep grass clippings, and very occasionally plow up a small garden with a Brimley plow. Due to the terrain here, I have wheel weights and chains on the rear tires.

I've worn out about 5 sets of sector gears and steering shaft gears so far-and it needs doing again. Each time it's the same pattern-for the first few mowings on moderate to steeply graded terrain the steering has very little slop but it gets continually worse from then on and I'm sawing the wheel back and forth more and more over time trying to keep a straight cutting path, until I can't stand it anymore and replace it again. I'm sure that our terrain is a big factor in the part's wearout, by putting so much stress on the steering gears in turning while heading downhill, but that's not something that I can change. I've also replaced many of the the other steering parts, linkages, etc. over time so there isn't much play in the steering when the gears are new.

The wearout rate doesn't seem to matter if I ONLY replace the gearset (sector gear/steering shaft with welded-on gear) or replace the entire factory gear package with bushings, shim washers, bracket, etc. I've tried an aftermarket sector sector gear also, but that didn't seem to last any longer than the OEM part.

Both the sector gear and the steering shaft gear wear significantly, so one doesn't SEEM to be much harder than the other.

I've pictured a worm gear/rack as a possible replacement, but I don't know if it's possible to use one with the current steering linkages-or if it's worth trying if there are any longer-lasting parts available to mimic the OEM setup more closely.

Any suggestions would be appreciated-this is tedious and expensive to keep doing every other year or so, but I can't afford a new tractor.

fastback

Threads
I know where your coming from I have the same problem with my 1996 Sears GT. I know that most of the play originates at the steering gear, but I also believe that the bushings used on the steering shaft are also a problem. It was my intention this year to remove this shaft and install a new one but this time with either bronze or ball bearings in place of the nylon one. There is some play at this location that translates into additional play at the wheel. I noticed that with the play at the bushings the gears do not mesh tightly and adds to the play. I have also worked on the drag link. I don't like the play that can be found at the drag link ends. They are just a ball on the end of a 3/8 inch stud and are swedged into the shaft. I used some ball joints that I purchased at MSC, they required some drilling an threading in order to fit. They helped, but did not cure the problem. Oh, I also noticed that the front axial has some play at the pivot point and would need shimming.

I am now seeing almost half a revolution in play of the steering wheel. I don't think I'll have the time to address this problem until next winter. In the mean time I'll be watching this site to see what is used to make the necessary repairs.

Oh, BTW I even tried old ball joints from my 66 mustang. I cut the original stud and welded a 3/8 inch bolt in its place and then cut the drag link and welded the joint to the rod. It worked and reduced some of the play but hung a little low so it would hit the deck on sharp turns.

Steering seems to be the weak link on these units. I believe they were made by Roper.

Alasdair

Threads
Hi there, I'm not sure if it can be done on your model
mower, but I made a sector gear and pinion from an old
ring gear (ex car wreckers) and matching pinion gear (ex
starter motor, I ground off worn out teeth with an angle
grinder, welded a piece of ring gear to sector plate and
welded pinion gear to steering shaft. You can simply grind
off weld to renew it, but as the gears are much wider and
better quality steel, they should last forever, you'd get four
sets of sectors from one ring gear. It may not work as well
if your gear face is set at an angle to the plate and you may
need to bend a bit more curve into gear prior to welding ends,
I fitted pinion first, meshed centre then welded, turned to the
left welded a spot, turned right, welded a spot then checked
mesh lock to lock before finishing welds. Split the ring gear off
the flywheel with a cold chisel or grinder. Total cost was $15.00
I hope it may help, cheers
Alasdair.

fastback

Threads
Hi Alasdair,

Boy I like that idea. I think I have some old parts around that I can use for that. I might try it with a flex plate off a 289 cid. Thanks for the tip.

Regards,

Paul

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
that sounds ridiculous....ive always replaced the steering block and that solves 90% of it right there....to be chewing up the metal gears....the steering block has to wear out first.........it aligns the two shafts in the first place....do you ever grease it all?...........the steering blocks are only $7...buy 3 of them....... .replace them BEFORE you trash your gears....and save yourself the hassles

fastback

Threads
I don't think its ridiculous, what is ridiculous is the fact that they wore out in the first place. I know my property is relatively rough and moist so I must cut often and I do grease on a regular basis. I just think the materials that these later model tractors are made of are of less than decent quality. If using a ring gear and starter gear make a permanent repair I'm all for it. The older tractor's with similar designs were not a problem, so why should these?

Alasdair

Threads
The sad fact is, the steering systems on a lot of mowers
are poorly engineered, and built to the lowest cost for
mass production. If they were serious, like Kubota, they
wouldn't have dry exposed gear sectors poorly meshed
and stamped out of soft mild steel, there would be at least
a sealed, lubricated and properly cut tooth gearbox or rack fitted.
The things we get are like what you'd find on kids toys from
thirty years ago. The manufacturers just get away with it.

fastback

Threads
I agree, and to take it one step further, we now live in a throwaway world. It seems that most things are not ment to last. I see proof ot this all the time all I need to do is drive down the road and see lawn mowers or tractors setting on the side with a free sign on it. It needs a tune-up lets get a new one...

benski

Threads
Yep, it's kind of depressing that one of the strongest and most technologically advanced nations in the world has an industry that is SO driven by price point.:ashamed: I sure as heck wouldn't fly in a plane made by 99% of the manufacturers of lawn equipment.:biggrin: What I do in the meantime is make sure everything is lubed up as it should be, and make sure my tires are properly inflated. This will (obviously) reduce the load on the steering gear vs. under-inflated tires. Just thought I'd throw that out there.:wink::biggrin: