In the market for replacement for my 15 year old rear engine Snapper

luggage

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / In the market for replacement for my 15 year old rear engine Snapper
It looks as though my good friend "snapper" is has too many years/breakdowns under its belt and time for a fresh face in my home lawn care chores. Just a home owner with about `1.5 acres in my back yard. I have a Toro self propelled (sp) that I bought a few months ago to replace my old snapper sp. Snapper was the first real good mower that I have owned and it served me well. I paid about 2300.00 new. Looking at the choices now at the big box stores and the dealers can be an eye opener and requires the skill of a dedicated researcher to avoid getting stiffed. I agree with those who say that you get what you pay for but it is getting harder to know who is making which machines. I understand that MTD makes some entry level Toro's with Toro's specs for some of the big box stores. The question is which models? Years ago I went down the murry route thinking I could replace it every two to three years. But the problem with the cheap quality mowers is that you don't count on having to replace belts, spindles and even decks in short order. So my dilema is to discover which Toro's are still quality and being made by Toro. The Big Box stores sell tractors for $1900 for tractors and $2900 for ZTRs. Are these the entry level models made by MTD. I also looked at a ZTR SS5000 at a dealer for $3000. Also a comprable Husky for about the same price. Toro warranty is 3 years and Husky is 2 years. I would appreciate any feed back.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
To find the quality in a mower today you will have to spend about 1 & a half what you spent 15 years ago... for the same quality in a mower as one bought over 25 years ago you'll have to spend about twice what the 25 year old cost new...
you are on the right track... inexpensive is not going to last like you want it to last... :smile:KennyV

BTW... WELCOME to this great FORUM...

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm curious,

If you were happy with your Snapper, and you had good luck with it, why not get another Snapper? :confused:

K&G SMALL ENGINES

Forum Newbie
Threads
you might want to check out john deere mowers seems like all i fix on them is belt plugs miner stuff have worked on several in last yearsome as old as 1970 model.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you look at the Snapper - I would suggest you stay away from the 33" High Vac Deck -- check out the other threads that discuss the problems.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello, I have moved your post to the Mower Buying & Pricing Forum. You will have better luck finding assistance there. :wink:

Thanks for joining LawnMowerForum!!!

txzrider2

Threads
If you look at the Snapper - I would suggest you stay away from the 33" High Vac Deck -- check out the other threads that discuss the problems.

My Snapper Yard cruiser had the 33" hi-vac deck and it worked great... no scalping or blade issues... had it 17 years. Ended up replacing it with a Country Clipper due to not being able to find another with the joystick steering. Country Clipper had joystick steering as well as the amazingly cool slide out flip up deck. I say this not knowing if the issues you are referring to are on much newer mowers... bought my Snapper in 97'