CMM 1200: Charger or Circuit Breaker, or ... ?

chipazzo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a CMM 1200 I bought new maybe 5~6 yrs ago. A 1st gen model I believe. I've had to fix a broken hinge pin so far.

I got back from vacation and the unit will not mow for more than 30 seconds. I always leave it on the charger whn not in use.

When connected to the charger no lights come on.

The battery cold is 24v and maybe 19~20v under load.

Is it the charger, circuit breaker or something else?

How could I test either to verify?

Thanks,
Chip

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
First 5 or 6 years on a battery is very good. If you think it is a house breaker then plug a light or any thing that runs off electricty into same whole the charger is in. If it works the electricity to plug is good. Replace battery to see if charger is working. Im betting the battery is just dead.

TXgal

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a CMM 1200 I bought new maybe 5~6 yrs ago. A 1st gen model I believe. I've had to fix a broken hinge pin so far.

I got back from vacation and the unit will not mow for more than 30 seconds. I always leave it on the charger whn not in use.

When connected to the charger no lights come on.

The battery cold is 24v and maybe 19~20v under load.

Is it the charger, circuit breaker or something else?

How could I test either to verify?

Thanks,
Chip

I have a similar situation with a CMM 1200 approximately the same age. The battery seemed to be running down more quickly and I was having to jiggle the charger connection to get the red light to come on to start re-charging. Finally, no red light at all, so I replaced the battery thinking it had died. After replacing the battery, the mower starts, but still no light comes on when I plug in the charger.

My question is the same. Is it the charger, the mower's circuit breaker or something else?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
So if the mower runs with the new battery then the mowers circuit beaker is not bad. If it is charging the battery then the charger is not bad. Light not coming on on the charger is just that the LED light is not working anymore. Lets not over think this. Unless the new battery can not run the mower after first charge then everything is fine.

chipazzo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah to be honest, I can't rememer the last time I actually looked to see if the charger indicator was working. I just wish I had a way to test it. I could disconnect the batteries and run them on a trickle charger if I wanted.

I decided to give a new pair of batteries a shot. Found an ok deal at Amazon. Free two day shipping will have it here for the weekend. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice folks.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Voltage tester will work.

MowerMike

Threads
The battery cold is 24v and maybe 19~20v under load

The battery is definitely dead. It should be at least 25.6v fully charged with no load (open circuit) and 24v under load. Also, getting 5+ years from a battery is phenominal.

jtellekson

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think my charger is bad. Green LED comes on, but red never does. It shows 5V, not 26. Should I be able to detect 26V, or does it somehow know that it's not attached to the battery - so it's not trying?

JEC

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think my charger is bad. Green LED comes on, but red never does. It shows 5V, not 26. Should I be able to detect 26V, or does it somehow know that it's not attached to the battery - so it's not trying?

I think I have the same issue. I installed new batteries, old ones were 6 years old and would only cut grass for a minute or two. Charger only showed a green light. I put in new batteries it ran fine the first cut but still only a green light on the charger. Now it runs only a few minutes and dies (maybe five minutes) even after charging for several days. The charger has output of 26 volts what wrong? Batteries show 11.7 no load.

Luana

Threads
I know this is a CMM1200 thread but my CMM1000 is over fifteen years old and still using the original battery. I can still get two mowings (maybe more) on a single charge.

I bought a used CMM1200 last week with a bad battery for $25. The woman said she didn't want to spend $150 for a new battery and she also thought she needed a bigger mower to cut her entire yard. I didn't have the heart to tell her that she could buy an equivalent battery for around $75 or maybe a bit less.

I'm going to swap the battery from my 1000 to the 1200 and then test the charging circuit.