Toro Mower wont start

gwar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have a Toro wheelhorse 14 - 38 XL riding mower handed down to me. owned one year and started last year. I went to start it up to change the oil and when i turned the key, nothing. The engine wasn't trying to turn over, nothing. Its like i didnt even turn the key. The safety switch is good, changed the solenoid, and i do have a wire that isnt connected to anything, but i cant find it in the wire schematic. Help would be greatly appreciated.
:mad:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have a Toro wheelhorse 14 - 38 XL riding mower handed down to me. owned one year and started last year. I went to start it up to change the oil and when i turned the key, nothing. The engine wasn't trying to turn over, nothing. Its like i didnt even turn the key. The safety switch is good, changed the solenoid, and i do have a wire that isnt connected to anything, but i cant find it in the wire schematic. Help would be greatly appreciated.
:mad:

Welcome to LMF....BTW, Gwar rocks...:wink:

That wire go to the carb? It won't solve your dead problem, but that might be where it goes, under the bowl.

This is a silly question, but since you didn't say - you made sure there was charge in the battery, right?

gwar

Forum Newbie
Threads
yeah shouldve said that sorry.. batteries charged. tested it today to make sure. solenoid is working proper aswell. i can take an engine apart and put it together in a heartbeat, but when something isn't working... im no good..

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
This wire that is not connected to anything... Where is it? :smile:KennyV

gwar

Forum Newbie
Threads
the wire that has no connection is either tan or it was white and faded... but its is located just under the starter on the right side (when sitting on the seat) and it comes from the conduit carrying two wires which connect to the headlight housing... i haven't the foggiest idead where the hell this thing goes... i dont even know if its important...

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is the small wire going to the solenoid coil showing 12 volts when the key is turned to start? :smile:KennyV

gwar

Forum Newbie
Threads
not sure. if it is, what does it mean? if not, what does it mean?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The key when turned to start will apply 12volts to th coil in the starter solenoid.. If it doesn't then there is something at, after or before the switch preventing the 12 volts ...
If there is no wire going to the small (coil) terminal on the solenoid & that unknown wire has 12 volts with the key turned to start... Then thats the wire that needs to be reconnected ... Just a little time with a volt meter will find the problem... :smile:KennyV

gwar

Forum Newbie
Threads
alright. thanks a bunch. i'll post if i have any more questions. beena great help. :)

HouseParty340

Forum Newbie
Threads
The key when turned to start will apply 12volts to th coil in the starter solenoid.. If it doesn't then there is something at, after or before the switch preventing the 12 volts ...
If there is no wire going to the small (coil) terminal on the solenoid & that unknown wire has 12 volts with the key turned to start... Then thats the wire that needs to be reconnected ... Just a little time with a volt meter will find the problem... :smile:KennyV

So I've been reading as I have a problem with starting my mower, same as thread. Power to solenoid to fuel, but starter wont turn over. Only way I can start the mower is to turn ignition switch on and then boost from car battery direct to starter. Would I be wrong in assuming its the solenoid (4 pole)?