Poulan wont start

jh1974

Forum Newbie
Threads
I own a 42in 17HP Kohler riding mower, I bought it new in 2001. I currently cant get the mower to start, it turns over just fine. I changed the spark plug, still nothing. I can smell gas so it seems to be getting gas just fine. Any other suggestions from anyone? it would be greatly appreciated! model # is PRK17H42ST Serial # is 012201D010304.

Last edited:

gfp55

Threads
I own a 42in 17HP Kohler riding mower, I bought it new in 2001. I currently cant get the mower to start, it turns over just fine. I changed the spark plug, still nothing. I can smell gas so it seems to be getting gas just fine. Any other suggestions from anyone? it would be greatly appreciated![/QUOTEMaybe you could post the model # serial # off your mower.

Gearjammer

Threads
Fuel, spark, air

My guess would be you need spark. Check by taking out spark plug. Hook plug wire back up. Then ground the edge of the plug to a flat metal surface on the mower by clamping with vice grips. Turn the mower over and see if you can see the spark jumping the electrodes. If not, the next thing is to trace down the cause for no spark. Could be safety switches. Good luck. Gearjammer