Hard to start, chugs & spews smoke

cjb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman walk-behind mower with a 675 series Briggs & Stratton engine. Full disclosure: last summer I ran over the metal leg of a hammock support. I replaced the bent blade, but the mower never ran the same after that. I usually needed starting fluid to get it running if it was cold, and it seemed a bit rough even when it was going.

Now this season, I'm trying to fire it up again...and the best it can do is chug at about half speed and spew a ton of smoke. That's after cleaning off the sparkplug, which was soaked with fuel. Not sure what changed, but I fear I bent the crankshaft or something with the incident last year - is there anything else I should look at repair-wise, or should I just be shopping for a new mower at this point? Thanks!

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Craftsman walk-behind mower with a 675 series Briggs & Stratton engine. Full disclosure: last summer I ran over the metal leg of a hammock support. I replaced the bent blade, but the mower never ran the same after that. I usually needed starting fluid to get it running if it was cold, and it seemed a bit rough even when it was going.

Now this season, I'm trying to fire it up again...and the best it can do is chug at about half speed and spew a ton of smoke. That's after cleaning off the sparkplug, which was soaked with fuel. Not sure what changed, but I fear I bent the crankshaft or something with the incident last year - is there anything else I should look at repair-wise, or should I just be shopping for a new mower at this point? Thanks!
the timming is off because you sheared a key that holds your fly wheel in place. Remove the fly wheel and replace key stock and it will run fine. About 2.50$ in parts if your lucky.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I ran over the metal leg of a hammock support.
...something with the incident last year - is there anything else I should look at repair-wise

RobertBrown has my answer also...

Usually the key will shear completely and it will never attempt to start or run... but if the nut holding the flywheel to the crank shaft is tight enough ... it'll tweak the key just a little and then the timing is going to be off a little ...
Easy fix and you will be ready to mow the other hammock supports... :smile:KennyV
Oh BTW, WELCOME to the FORUM.... & please post back with your results....:thumbsup:

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello, I have moved your post to the Craftsman Forum. You will have better luck finding assistance there. :wink:

Thanks for joining LawnMowerForum!!!