Blades engage when PTO is off

mom2bug

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an older Bolens Lawn Tractor I Just changed the belt yesterday, now when trying to start the mower the blades are trying to cut on preventing the mower from starting. Any ideas?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you not read my comment from the other post?
Or did you not like that I asked if you used the right belt or put it in right?

mom2bug

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you not read my comment from the other post?
Or did you not like that I asked if you used the right belt or put it in right?

Just got back on here, the belt was purchased from the local hardware store by my mother, the old belt was taken in and given to the guy behind the counter, it fits I'm unsure whether its the correct size or not. It was installed according to the instruction manual, and the deck is engaged by pushing a handle down. Thanks for all your input!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just got back on here, the belt was purchased from the local hardware store by my mother, the old belt was taken in and given to the guy behind the counter, it fits I'm unsure whether its the correct size or not. It was installed according to the instruction manual, and the deck is engaged by pushing a handle down. Thanks for all your input!

Does the handle feel the same way when you try to push it like it did before.

I will bet the belt is to short.

When a belt breaks and you measure how long it is you don't get the true size of the belt.

Say the belt you need is 74 inches. You go to the hardware store and measure a belt along the outside it measures 74 inches.

Now comes the good part the belt is really 72 inches. Why you ask.

Because mower belts are measured by the inside

mom2bug

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does the handle feel the same way when you try to push it like it did before.

I will bet the belt is to short.

When a belt breaks and you measure how long it is you don't get the true size of the belt.

Say the belt you need is 74 inches. You go to the hardware store and measure a belt along the outside it measures 74 inches.

Now comes the good part the belt is really 72 inches. Why you ask.

Because mower belts are measured by the inside

The belt wasn't completely broken , and the handle feels the same, guess I'm gonna have to call the mechanic .

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
The belt wasn't completely broken , and the handle feels the same, guess I'm gonna have to call the mechanic .

Part number for belt may be in manual, if not post your model & serial numbers. Lowes carries Bolens belts.