Kohler XT7 Engine Runs gas through it, of course won't start

Scripkilla

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kohler XT7 Engine Runs gas through it, of course won't start
Hi everyone, first post on this forum. Looks like a very helpful site! Anyway, I could not resist posting because I also have A lawnmower with this kohler xt7 engine. It's the last year toro super recycler (bought in april). I have always purchased lower line $200 dollar yard machines and decided to spend some more $$ and get a higher quality one. This mower was awesome all year long - started on the first pull every time. Followed the service schedule to the tee since I paid over $500 for this thing (replaced plug, drained oil, run it dry prior to storage and changed air filter). Went to fire it up this spring and it ran for about 2 minutes and choked out. Would not restart! I thought maybe a put old gas in it since the gas I used was about 3 months old - 87 oct. Replaced with new and still would not start. I talked to my local Toro dealership and they said to unscrew the nut on the carb bowl and make sure fuel is flowing through there. Flushed it with new fuel and the fuel went through successfully, but since i have no experiene with this i dont know if there was a partial blockage. Still did not start so i took it in to them and after about 1 week they said it was burning oil and some gasket had a leak? I am still learning about how these engines work, but for a 1 year old motor this is unacceptable. They are still checking with kohler about a kit to fix this and if it is covered under warranty. I will be furious if they come back and say it was "bad gas". I am wondering if what js is speaking of related. This mower may have about 15 hours of use!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi everyone, first post on this forum. L

they said it was burning oil and some gasket had a leak
... for a 1 year old motor this is unacceptable.
... This mower may have about 15 hours of use!

You are right... That IS unacceptable.
Welcome to the Forum AND keep us informed as to what they tell you... :smile:KennyV

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello, I have moved your post to the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum. You will have better luck finding assistance there. :wink:

Thanks for joining LawnMowerForum!!!

Scripkilla

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just got an update from the repair shop (over 1 week) if anyone is familiar with my issue I posted last week about my xt7 toro sr. They have the replacement 'kit' coming and it was determined there was an issue wiith the parts being machined wrong. Something about a hole being drilled too small which is causing a build up of compressed air and forcing oil/gas into the carb? Whatever it is, I'll let you know what becomes of it...it's being covered under the warranty...I'm wondering how many of this engines went out with this apparent fault on the assembly line?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for keeping us informed ! :smile:

Where was this engine manufactured (if you know)?

JSmith

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry for the late update, but I followed advice given here and have it running, at least long enough to mow the lawn, maybe an hour so far. I removed the carb and cleaned thoroughly with carb cleaner. During disasembly I found the gasket was malformed, but I don't think this was the problem. I reassembled, added Sea Foam, and installed a gas cutoff so if it failed again I wouldn't have a quart of gas on my garage floor. So far so good. Thanks for all the help.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
some models of the xt7 have a problem with bad plating on the needle valve and are being replaced under warranty if the engine is within a certain serial number range. so see your local kohler dealer to found out for sure.

Scripkilla

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just got word back from service center that the kit they received from kohler did not fix the issue. They are now rePlacing the entire engine...:confused2::eek:

temperance

Forum Newbie
Threads
EXACT same thing happened to me today. I bought mine last August. Went to dealer to get a rebuild kit for the carb and he about fell over laughing, said "good luck ... that engine is so new that they dont even have carbs for it available, get on the repair list and prepare to wait for back order parts. He had a list of people with the same issue. He said the XT-7 carb is a lemon and there are alot of issues with it and kohler dosn't have it worked out yet. He aslo said no warranty with no reciept.:mad:

crappy_kohler_xt7

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same gas leak problem with my Ariens A173K22 / Kohler XT-7 . First it was the plating in the needle vavle. I cleaned it up myself and it worked for about a month until I left it for over two weeks. Gas on the floor again. I opened it up, took the valve and float out finding no apparent problems. Put it back together and it worked for the day. Several days later, gas on the floor. I clamped the gas line with small vise-grip until next mowing. Unclamped gas line, gas all over the floor. Took out the valve & float. found no problems, put it together.... it worked for the mowing. Days later... gas on the floor. I clamped the gas line. This is now my routine. What are we going to do? The routine all the time? Purchased 8/10. Have not gone through the trouble of bringing in for warranty repair. That might be more hassle than it is worth @ my location.