Kohler XT7 Engine Runs gas through it, of course won't start

JSmith

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kohler XT7 Engine Runs gas through it, of course won't start
I've done a quick search and have seen this as a problem on some XT7 engines. Less than 4 hours on it, always has been hard to start and now gas just pours through it out the carb. Any ideas I can try?

Thanks

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Less than 4 hours -- should be under warranty -- if it isn't -- must be float in carb bowl isn't closing the valve. Was it stored over winter with gas in it ?

JSmith

Forum Newbie
Threads
No gas over the winter, I always run them out. Just put in fresh this morning.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not an "expert" but it sounds like the float is stuck and not closing the needle valve -- I don't know how hard it is to get the bowl off that carb or if just taking the carb off and turning it upside down a few times would free things up. ????

If you can get the gas out of the tank and bowl - and don't want to take the carb apart - maybe just enough sea foam or another carb cleaner in the bowl over night would disolve any gum / varnish that is causing the problem.

KennyV usually has great suggestions.

No gas over the winter, I always run them out. Just put in fresh this morning.

JSmith

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks BKB. I'll take a quick look at the bowl and see what it'll take to look at it. Appreciate the info.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK -- let us know what you find and if it works. :biggrin:

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK -- let us know what you find and if it works. :biggrin:

I agree with BKbrown, can't imagine what else would allow gas to pour from the carb. It doesn't seem likely with an engine that new that was stored properly.
I would be curious to know: A) what you found on the web to be the "common problem". B) What you find when you disassemble the intake/carb.
It could be that enough gas was left in the carb after the engine stopped to cause the float, needle\seat assembly to malfunction. Or, perhaps the gas is leaking from the fuel line and apears to be comming from the carb.
Either way it's a shame you can't get the manfufacturer to fix it. I suppose sometime it's less hassle to fix it yourself, as long as you don't void the warranty in the process.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree with BKbrown, can't imagine what else would allow gas to pour from the carb. It doesn't seem likely with an engine that new that was stored properly.
I would be curious to know: A) what you found on the web to be the "common problem". B) What you find when you disassemble the intake/carb.
It could be that enough gas was left in the carb after the engine stopped to cause the float, needle\seat assembly to malfunction. Or, perhaps the gas is leaking from the fuel line and apears to be comming from the carb.
Either way it's a shame you can't get the manfufacturer to fix it. I suppose sometime it's less hassle to fix it yourself, as long as you don't void the warranty in the process.

Every time I store an engine for the season (mowers in fall, snowblowers in spring) I always remove the carb float bowl and push compressed air into the fuel tank opening to be sure all fuel is expelled. My '90 vintage Craftsman snowblower is a huge PIB to get purged of fuel, if you just try the easy way of pushing up the carb bowl drain in the hope of getting all the fuel out you will end up with a few ounces left in tank and carb no matter how hard you try to drain it all. Believe me, leaving the stale fuel in causes a lot of problems down the road.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think everyone has this pretty well covered... there has to be something sticking the float or the float is not 'floating' ... if the fresh fuel has not dissolved the sticky gunk... you may have to look inside the bowl to see whats up with the no shut off ... :smile:KennyV

I think this is one of the new Chinese made Kohler engines... I have not looked close at these carbs so if you do take the fuel bowl off... click a couple pictures and post them ... let the rest of us see what may be new & different in these...

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
CHINESE MADE KOHLER!!!!???? :eek:

If I find out my one year old pusher has a Chink made engine in it I am going to be FURIOUS :mad: