Who uses GTs and who uses Zero turns

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
garden tractor for me (not lawn tractor) because I use it to mow and push snow. My garden tractor has power steering and hydraulic lift. Only zero turns I would even consider are the quality commercial grade machines with lugged wheels, none of that cheap box store garbage. I also like how I have one hand free when mowing on my GT and I can relax. On a zero turn both hands are busy and you have to lean forward and cant relax and all they can do is mow. You also have to spend $10,000 to get a good zero turn mower that can only do 1 thing. $6,000 will get you a good garden tractor that you can do about anything with. Life is a race to so many people though.

You an do all those with a ZTR. Yes commercial ZTRs are expensive but if want a utility tractor then you'll spent $30k for a nice one. A garden tractor is just a mower to, if you want it to do anything else you have to buy attachments. I don't know anyone mowing commercially with a garden tractor. I see guys mowing with them and they may have a business license pay taxes ect but really just have a hobby.

If a ZTR goes down there's normally a lever somewhere around the transaxle that will disengage the hydros and it's just like anything else that weighs 1500 lbs to roll around.

I've a Kubota utility tractor so I see both sides of the fence. The Kubota is used for loader bush hogging and grading and the ZTRs are used for mowing primary.

javjacob

Threads
You an do all those with a ZTR. Yes commercial ZTRs are expensive but if want a utility tractor then you'll spent $30k for a nice one. A garden tractor is just a mower to, if you want it to do anything else you have to buy attachments. I don't know anyone mowing commercially with a garden tractor. I see guys mowing with them and they may have a business license pay taxes ect but really just have a hobby.

If a ZTR goes down there's normally a lever somewhere around the transaxle that will disengage the hydros and it's just like anything else that weighs 1500 lbs to roll around.

I've a Kubota utility tractor so I see both sides of the fence. The Kubota is used for loader bush hogging and grading and the ZTRs are used for mowing primary.

Pretty much all people who mow commercially use zero turns but all they are using them for is to mow. Time is money for those guys. Garden tractors are so much better at chores like pushing snow ect... there is no comparison. Attachments for a zero turn are almost just a novelty. Sounds like a good idea but in reality just doesn't work very good. How many people do you see pushing snow or plowing a garden ect with a zero turn though?

My garden tractor for example has power steering, hydraulic lift and foot control hydro. One hand for steering, one for working hydraulic lever and my foot controls the hydro. I can do it all at the same time. A zero turn with any attachment is going to be manual lift unless you get an electric actuator but that is still nowhere near as good as hydraulics. You have to use both hands just to control the dual hydro so you have to stop to raise or lower the blade no matter what and its just awkward no matter what. Both hands are full just making it move where I can move my GT with both hands free. Big difference and again there is no comparison. Zero turns also get stuck really easy and cant handle hills/inclines.

My point is there's nothing a zero turn can do that a garden tractor cant do. I cant afford a utility tractor and a commercial grade (quality built) zero turn. Garden tractor is the best bang for my buck. A zero turn cant take the place of my garden tractor.

So many people buy zero turns just because they think its the cool thing to have or have been told they are better not thinking about anything other than mowing. Then winter comes and they are shoveling snow with a shovel or they are buying a walk behind snow blower. The difference in a garden tractor with a blade or snow blower vs a walk behind snow blower is like the difference in a zero turn vs a push mower.

Now on the other hand if you compare a zero turn to a lawn tractor the zero turn wins hands down no comparison. Most people don't know the difference in a lawn tractor and a garden tractor though. On the same note a lot of people also don't know the difference in residential grade quality vs commercial grade quality.

Donkman

Threads
ZT for mowing and GT for plowing snow!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Toro is bringing four-season versatility to its stand-on mower line with the all-new GrandStand MULTI FORCE featuring a BOSS snow plow attachment. The new models allow operators to switch between a mowing deck and a snowplow with a simple change of attachments.
Perfect for clearing snow from sidewalks, the GrandStand MULTI FORCE is equipped with a unique movable caster assembly that shortens the frame to maximize the performance of each attachment. This makes the machine more maneuverable and effective for removing snow. In addition, once Toro's Quick Attach System is setup, users can switch from a mowing deck to a snowplow in minutes. Attachments for the GrandStand MULTI FORCE connect to a Power Arm that is able to lift more than 18 inches, allowing an operator to push snow up and over curbs.

According to Ross Hawley, senior marketing manager for The Toro Company, Toro partnered with BOSS to design the GrandStand MULTI FORCE with productivity, safety and durability in mind. His design draws upon the collective experience of both teams, leading to a better result, he notes. 泥esigning when and how the plow blade trips over an obstacle was a critical part of the collaboration. The GrandStand MULTI FORCE also offers all the advantages of Toro's traditional GrandStand stand-on mower, including a large, comfortable operator platform with smooth suspension, outstanding visibility, and a smaller footprint that's easy to transport. Both new models are equipped with Toro's 7-gauge steel TURBO FORCE mowing deck, which delivers a pristine after-cut appearance.

The GrandStand MULTI FORCE gives our customers a way to do more with one machine, instead of needing dedicated equipment for each season, Hawley adds. The result is added equipment utilization and higher productivity. Two models will be available in the spring of 2016. Customers can choose either a 52″ or a 60″ TURBO FORCE deck with a 60 BOSS snowplow. Additional options and attachments are planned for the future.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
GrandStand MULTI FORCE I sure can't see it as much of a snow plow on hard pack and ice without tire chains and two wheel drive. I do see that they make a snowblower attachment which would be better if you don't mine a lot of snow blown in your face. A good two foot of snow on a -10 degree day and a strong wind with a 150 foot driveway to clear will tell the true story.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
GrandStand MULTI FORCE I sure can't see it as much of a snow plow on hard pack and ice without tire chains and two wheel drive. I do see that they make a snowblower attachment which would be better if you don't mine a lot of snow blown in your face. A good two foot of snow on a -10 degree day and a strong wind with a 150 foot driveway to clear will tell the true story.

Fortunately I don't have to worry about that crappy snow. Ill let you guy deal with that stuff, I'll enjoy the sunshine.:smile:

X-man

Threads
Fortunately I don't have to worry about that crappy snow. Ill let you guy deal with that stuff, I'll enjoy the sunshine.:smile:

Lol. We in Michigan haven't had much of a winter.

I usually mow with a GT

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Y I see guys mowing with them and they may have a business license pay taxes ect but really just have a hobby.
That is an interesting opinion.
So any one with lesser gear than yours is just playing games ?

I have several full time mowing contractors who run tractors exclusively, work 7 days a week in prime season, do up to 10 to 15 lawns a day and live in $ 1,000,000 houses.
Not bad for a hobby !

ingigo

Threads
Flat terrain is just back and forth real fast with a Zero-Turn. I use a Ferris to mow flat city sports fields and businesses. It is very boring, but FAST. Time is $.
However, at my castle up on the ridge, a tractor is needed to mow, and it is not boring and rather relaxing. The style of a tractor has not changed for a long time. It always does many jobs well. The free hand helps to engage and use such buttons and levers as needed, and also helps to lean on the angled terrain.

greenguy

Threads
After 40 some years of mowing with various tractors, still have my 2011 John Deere X720SE, I now will be mowing with my new Ferris IS2100Z 61" 28HP EFI. The first time mowing, it took about 10 minutes to wipe the smile from my face!!!!! LOVE IT!!