Rusting car frame

X-man

Threads
So, a few months ago, I had to have a nice weld job done on the underside of my car (1995 Chrysler Cirrus).

Thanks to the wonderful salt that the state of Michigan likes to piss away in the winter, this is what has resulted over the years:

rust_01.jpgrust_02.jpg

So, this is what I had done so I don't end up having a Fred Flintstone adventure (if you know what I mean, lol):

rust_04.jpgrust_05.jpgrust_03.jpg

Think it's time for a new vehicle? :laughing:

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
So, a few months ago, I had to have a nice weld job done on the underside of my car (1995 Chrysler Cirrus).

Thanks to the wonderful salt that the state of Michigan likes to piss away in the winter, this is what has resulted over the years:

View attachment 22537View attachment 22538

So, this is what I had done so I don't end up having a Fred Flintstone adventure (if you know what I mean, lol):

View attachment 22539View attachment 22540View attachment 22541

Think it's time for a new vehicle? :laughing:

I would just junk it. It looks to be too far gone. Do you have vehicle inspection in MI? Some inspectors here in NH would absolutely freak if they see that.

And if you get a new vehicle, paint the underside (once a year) with some Ace Hardware Rust Stop black spray paint. Makes the underside look good and does a good job to repel rust. I also put CorrosionX or AV8 over the paint to stop corrosion. Makes your vehicle last longer if you monitor it and take care of it.

X-man

Threads
I would just junk it. It looks to be too far gone. Do you have vehicle inspection in MI? Some inspectors here in NH would absolutely freak if they see that.

And if you get a new vehicle, paint the underside (once a year) with some Ace Hardware Rust Stop black spray paint. Makes the underside look good and does a good job to repel rust. I also put CorrosionX or AV8 over the paint to stop corrosion. Makes your vehicle last longer if you monitor it and take care of it.

No, we don't have mandatory vehicle inspections. We should, though.

Inspectors would probably have a heart attack if they saw that...

X-man

Threads
If we had inspections, my car would FAIL!!! :laughing:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
From the pictures its hard to tell what is rusted. If its the engine and drive train frame it is replaceable. Not too bad of a job to do. I have done two of them. Floor boards aren't that bad to repair. Don't know how much you do your own work? As I said its hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like a poor repair job. Here in NY we do have the salt and inspections so it has to be repaired right or junk the car.

X-man

Threads
From the pictures its hard to tell what is rusted. If its the engine and drive train frame it is replaceable. Not too bad of a job to do. I have done two of them. Floor boards aren't that bad to repair. Don't know how much you do your own work? As I said its hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like a poor repair job. Here in NY we do have the salt and inspections so it has to be repaired right or junk the car.

Engine sub-frame was replaced a couple years ago. Still solid today.

It's my frame / floorboard that's rusted to hell. I circled what's what in these:

Before
rust_02_edit.jpg

After
rust_03_edit.jpg

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like I said its hard to tell from the pictures. It becomes a time when you give up on rust because of cost. Unless for some reason you love the car anything is repairable, but is it worth it on a Chrysler Cirrus? Maybe you can find another used Cirrus that some old lady didn't run in the salt cheaper then the repairs.

X-man

Threads
I do love the car... I already know that one of these days I am gonna have to salute it and shoot it.

The thing is, we've put so much money into this car in the past, that I'd rather keep it and drive it until the day the transmission blows or something.

Poor thing only has 80,500 miles on it.

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
I do love the car... I already know that one of these days I am gonna have to salute it and shoot it.

The thing is, we've put so much money into this car in the past, that I'd rather keep it and drive it until the day the transmission blows or something.

Poor thing only has 80,500 miles on it.

I wanted to buy a '98 Grand Marquis and it had a 4.6 liter in it and 51K miles. But I looked under it and it was beyond rotted. I was surprised that the jack stands could hold the car up. It rotted so quick because it was parked in a heated garage in winter and when it is over 40 degrees salt oxidizes and turns into rust and corrosion. I went by the owners house the other day and there was a flatbed there and the poor car was being hauled to the junkyard. Hopefully they save the motor and sell it.