craftsman wont start

greebas

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a craftsman 5000 mower with a kohler engine. Started fine and cut the grass a couple of times this spring. Started it up yesterday and drove it about 10 feet and then it died. Engine will turn over but not start. I replaced fuel filter, spark plugs and took off carb. and cleaned it out. Engine still turns over but will not run, although it does run a few seconds when I spray ether in carb. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

fastback

Threads
Sounds like its a fuel problem. Have you changed you fuel filter? If you have double check if there is an arrow indicating dirction of flow. Some filters require that the filter be installed in a spacific direction. Another problem that I have come across is the fuel tank discharge is blocked. In the past, I have blown into the fuel fill and moved the blockage. Most recently I have made an addapter so that I can use compressed air. If course if you do this it must be low pressure, you don't want to damage the fuel tank. I ususally disconnect the fuel line from the carb before doing this. I watch for fuel flow once present I know that the line is free. I don't know if you have a fuel pump on you motor if you do you may want to disconnect it at the discharge and crank the engine and see of there is flow.

Good luck

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've got a craftsman 5000 mower with a kohler engine. Started fine and cut the grass a couple of times this spring. Started it up yesterday and drove it about 10 feet and then it died. Engine will turn over but not start. I replaced fuel filter, spark plugs and took off carb. and cleaned it out. Engine still turns over but will not run, although it does run a few seconds when I spray ether in carb. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

My mother has a Craftsmen L1000and found that a spider was blocking the fuel line. If your engine is gravity fed and gas does not come out when you disconnect fuel line from carb thenthats your problem, a blocked fuel line.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello, I have moved your post to the Craftsman Forum. You will have better luck finding assistance there. :wink:

Thanks for joining LawnMowerForum!!!