Repairs Whilte smoke

zhshqzyc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I have a 2.5 years old Troy-Bilt mower. After the winter, I pulled it out to use it, it began to blow alot of white smoke from the motor and what looks like thick black oil from the muffler as well.

I have tried the easy stuff such as making sure that the air filter and the little extra foam piece wasnt clogged or dirty. I dumped the oil and changed it. It could not be overfilled. The muffler is very hot even running a few seconds.

Thanks for help.

jeff

Threads
Your oil likely has water in it.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi,

.... I dumped the oil and changed it.

Thanks for help.

What did the old oil look like ?
Was it amber, black, gray or white & frothy??

"it began to blow a lot of white smoke from the motor and what looks like thick black oil from the muffler as well."... where was the white smoke coming from?
I am inclines to agree with ieff.... white smoke is normally steam from water in the oil...
check the oil level and start it up allow it to heat up and cook off any remaining moisture that didn't get dumped with your oil change...
After it clears up, I would consider a fresh oil change (while it is still HOT)... :smile:KennyV

zhshqzyc

Forum Newbie
Threads
The old oil is amber/black. I bought fuel injector/carburetor cleaner and gas treatment from auto parts. Are they useful?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The old oil is amber/black. I bought fuel injector/carburetor cleaner and gas treatment from auto parts. Are they useful?

Sure... even though your mower is not fuel injected... todays fuel is not that good.. So a bit of cleaner added now & then is not going to hurt... Just read the can and don't put too much in your small tank.. If it calls for 1 oz per gallon thats what you want... :smile:KennyV

zhshqzyc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I tried heat up frequently to remove remaining moisture, it looks better. I mean less smoke blowing out. However it will die after 5 minutes working then it is hard to pull out starter cord. I need to wait for a long time then it may work again.

Why?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
In this mowers 2.5 years of life ... was it ever really over heated???
How was it running at the end of last season? :smile:KennyV