interesting situation here

Mike88se

Threads
I have a voicemail from a potential customer. The voice sounded familiar... lots of ums and uhs. Then she said "My name is Catherine" and that rang a bell too. I checked the phone number and it's a woman who stiffed me about a year ago. I'd cut her grass and couldn't get her to answer the door afterward. She wouldn't answer the phone or respond to voicemails. I figured she probably did this on a routine basis. I guess she's gone through all the other locals and saw my CL ad and didn't remember my name or number from last time. I'm thinking about how to respond. Best idea so far is to tell her I remember her and I'll cut her grass if she pays me for the last time and for this time up front.
I know a few of you guys are pretty "creative" with situations like this :wink:
What would you do?

gfp55

Threads
I have a voicemail from a potential customer. The voice sounded familiar... lots of ums and uhs. Then she said "My name is Catherine" and that rang a bell too. I checked the phone number and it's a woman who stiffed me about a year ago. I'd cut her grass and couldn't get her to answer the door afterward. She wouldn't answer the phone or respond to voicemails. I figured she probably did this on a routine basis. I guess she's gone through all the other locals and saw my CL ad and didn't remember my name or number from last time. I'm thinking about how to respond. Best idea so far is to tell her I remember her and I'll cut her grass if she pays me for the last time and for this time up front.
What would you do?
I think you have come up with the best idea. But I'll bet she says "what are you sure, why didn't you let me know before, I was not happy with your work. I've has people do that to me in the past. I just make sure I get CASH before services rendered and take a picture after each mowing/trim or she will have you redoing things because she will find something wrong so you have to come back in 4 or 5 days after the work has been done. And stick to your word, to you and her. "But thats just me" Good Luck and keep us posted.

sjessen

Threads
If you even want to pursue this you might set up a meeting. When she answers the door then hit her for both services. Not sure it is worth it even then. Keep us posted.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a voice-mail from a potential customer. The voice sounded familiar... lots of ums and uhs. Then she said "My name is Catherine" and that rang a bell too. I checked the phone number and it's a woman who stiffed me about a year ago. I'd cut her grass and couldn't get her to answer the door afterward. She wouldn't answer the phone or respond to voice-mails. I figured she probably did this on a routine basis. I guess she's gone through all the other locals and saw my CL ad and didn't remember my name or number from last time. I'm thinking about how to respond. Best idea so far is to tell her I remember her and I'll cut her grass if she pays me for the last time and for this time up front.
What would you do?

The best thing you can do with a situation like that is to leave her and it alone. If you know for a fact that it's the same woman that stiffed you before or a year ago then let it be end game for that account. It will just end up being a problem child no matter what you do.

gfp55

Threads
The best thing you can do with a situation like that is to leave her and it alone. If you know for a fact that it's the same woman that stiffed you before or a year ago then let it be end game for that account. It will just end up being a problem child no matter what you do.
I stand corrected........ Ric has the best answer to this whole thing!

Last edited:

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I stand corrected........ Ric has the best answer to this whole thing! P.S. Ric I like your new avatar, nice truck.

Ric is right on this one. If she is doing this consistently, then she will come up with something else when you approach to get paid. I would leave her alone and let her mow her own yard. Not worth the trouble. Remember the old saying "fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.".

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric is right on this one. If she is doing this consistently, then she will come up with something else when you approach to get paid. I would leave her alone and let her mow her own yard. Not worth the trouble. Remember the old saying "fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.".

For some people it's just a game to get free lawn care. For others it could be just the fact they could have fallen on hard times lives by herself and try to pay the bills herself and can't afford to pay for a lawn care business. If the latter is the case then yes you could help her out, it's something you'd have to judge for yourself.

Mike88se

Threads
I think you have come up with the best idea. But I'll bet she says "what are you sure, why didn't you let me know before, I was not happy with your work. I've has people do that to me in the past. I just make sure I get CASH before services rendered and take a picture after each mowing/trim or she will have you redoing things because she will find something wrong so you have to come back in 4 or 5 days after the work has been done. And stick to your word, to you and her. "But thats just me" Good Luck and keep us posted.
That is probably exactly what she will do... she won't remember or I have her mixed up with somebody else ;) But it's her alright.

For some people it's just a game to get free lawn care. For others it could be just the fact they could have fallen on hard times lives by herself and try to pay the bills herself and can't afford to pay for a lawn care business. If the latter is the case then yes you could help her out, it's something you'd have to judge for yourself.
Yeah I get that part and with her it may be a mixture of both. She's just kinda flakey. The house is literally falling apart. Siding missing, trim rotted away exposing the frame etc. I have construction experience and I offered to fix the worst of it and work with her on the price and payment along with a low price for the yard which is more dirt and weeds than grass. Then she stiffed me on the payment for the lawn.
I will call her back just to mention that. Theres no money or satisfaction in it but people should have to answer for their actions. Or at least be confronted about them.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Let the last one go you will never see it . Go to her demand payment up front for this mow if she pays then great If she doesn't then leave

Mower manic

Threads
Fool me once......

Surely you have heard the adage: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
I would not waste another dime on this woman. You should call or email and inform her you will need the money she owes you to even consider woking for her again.
This is the type of customer you want your competition to get.

The woman needs help, you could consider an act of kindness and help her out. This is something only you can decide.

Last edited: