Added some LED lights to my Raptor SD

shadeytree

Threads
So the last time I mowed, I finished just as the sun was going down so my last 5min or so was in low light. I decided that I wanted to look into adding some lights to the mower. I looked at Hustler's light kit, but for $200 I thought I could do much better for a lot cheaper. I knew I wanted to use LED's because I didn't want the lights to draw too much power from the mower's battery. I looked at a lot of options, but I chose to go with some low-profile strip LEDs that use double-sided 3M tape to mount. I also purchased a pre made wiring harness to ease the install. I think it turned out pretty good.

:thumbsup: NICE! :thumbsup:
Where did you purchase the lights and switch?
I've been thinking of adding LED head lights to my mower.
I would like to add some red LED lights to the rear too, since I mow about 400' along the road adjacent to my house. Cars zoom by at 55+. At dusk it is difficult for the driver to see me without any lights.

martin1b

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great idea. Decided to put the same kit on my Fastrak SD. I noticed the lights get very very hot in a short amount of time. Saw some pics with these on the gas tank. Although that was a great place to put them, decided not to as it might melt the plastic, and then kaboom.

here are some pics.
IMG_6751_768X1024.JPGIMG_6749_1024X768.JPG

Robert Sauls

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did the same thing. Got a Lighted switch, found an LED 9" light bar for good price.
Had all the rest of the stuff laying around. I think it turned out better than the $180.00
halogen light kit they offered.....
For some reason I can't insert any images....?

Donkman

Threads
Where did you hook up to? I would like to jump into the ignition switch but witch wire? (see attachment)Raptor Headlights.jpg

Donkman

Jefferey

Threads
I just did this today on my SDX still haven't mowed yet so everything is still shinny and clean, I also added 3 coats of top coat POR15 to the underside of the deck.
My Question is that on my wire harness when the lights are off there is a red led light on the switch
That stays on, I don't mow 5 months out of the year do to the weather in Iowa. So would this little LED
On the switch drain my battery over time? I did try and find a source that I can hook the POS wires too but what no luck in finding that source. I want the switch to power off after whe I turn the key to the off position .
Jeff

Stingray69

Threads
If your light is on all the time reverse the power wire and the load wire.

Jefferey

Threads
Its in the on/off switch that came with the harness, OFF is a RED led / ON is a GREEN led.
Think I will just change out to a different type switch this morning.

OUOUOU

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought the kit and look great and work great also. But they drain my battery after a while, what did I do wrong?
Thanks
Grant

Medic522

Forum Newbie
Threads
Nice job! I think I just found my next project.