tractors , garden and lawn

earthworm

Threads
I have read about , on Craig's List , garden tractors and lawn tractors ...What is the actual difference ? I think the two I have are just lawn tractors ..

skupko9680

Forum Newbie
Threads
Usually the frame and the transmission are the two key differences I have seen. A garden tractor should have a TTK62 (min borderline) or TTK66+ or equivalent.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
A garden tractor is more heavy duty.
Will have bigger tires and most will have the back wheels held on to a hub with lug nuts.

Will also have a low/high range.

A lawn tractor is just made to cut the grass and pull a small trailer.

A garden tractor is made to handle bigger jobs. Like pulling a tiller or rake.
Some even come with a 3 point hitch and a rear pto.

earthworm

Threads
Thank you, gentlemen .. This is helpful. My 4212 Simplicity can take a snow blower, but surely NOT a tiller ..Garden tractors can be ever to handy in maintaining an area .

gfp55

Threads
Lawn tractors are mostly for cutting grass=LT Garden tractors are for attachments that are ground engaging like tillers, moldboard plows, etc. Sometimes they have tree point hitches and like said before have bigger wheels, hydro lifts, heavier frames.= GT Maybe you could post some pictures of tractors that you are looking at and someone here can let you know if they are LTs or GTs. "but thats just me"

skupko9680

Forum Newbie
Threads
One reason I mentioned the transmission is that is something with the newer tractors that is a big difference. If you looked at my Broadmoor 27/52 it looks like a garden tractor with the 23/16 wheels but the transmission is a k62 which TT does not rate as a garden tractor transmission.

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
I have read about , on Craig's List , garden tractors and lawn tractors ...What is the actual difference ? I think the two I have are just lawn tractors ..

I look at the rear rims.

If the rim looks like this:

23x8_5x12_john_deere_garden_tractor_tires_rims_very_nice_shape_40_schwenksville_pa_10476299[1].jpg

It hints to me that it is a garden tractor.

If the rim looks like this:

thQRTGJD6H.jpg

It hints to me that it is a lawn tractor.