5 HP Briggs will not idle-Runs wide open

Steve2000

Threads
Hello Guys:
I have a 5HP Briggs side drive motor that will not idle. It will only run wide open. All the linkage moves freely. The governor on the side of the motor is suppose to go up when the motor is running. For some unknown reason it does not. This governor is adjustable. It does not make any difference where I set it to. I took the block of another one apart to see what is controlling it and it is just a lever not in contact with anything. I'm not sure what makes it move in the first place. Does any one know what to do?
Thank you in advance for any ideas.
Steve

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well if you can move the throttle linkage by hand and it won't slow down or change, means that your problem is in the carb area,
meaning that you probably lost a throttle plate screw, and the throttle plate has been sucked in closer to the block.

Easily confirmed, if you lift up on the throttle linkage on top, and it keeps coming up!!!!!!

Check these things out and let us know.

Steve2000

Threads
Thank you for responding.
Sorry to say I left a piece of information out of the original thread. I can move the linkage by hand and it will run accordingly including idle. The carb is working correctly. It's just the governor is not going to the correct position and I have no idea why.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well then you need to post the engine's model/type/code numbers so whe know what you have.

Steve2000

Threads
Hello Guys:
Model:136212 Type 000601 Code: 95082327
I want to try to explain my problem a little better. The only governor is a lever which comes out of the block under the gas tank. This model does not have a plastic lever (fin) by the fly wheel. This engine is off a go cart. When the engine is not running the governor lever is in the most down position which causes the carb to be calling for full throttle. When the motor starts the governor should go up causing the motor to idle. I have no idea why the governor does not go up. If any one has any ideas please respond as I don't know what to do next.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well internally, the gov. gear/oil slinger looks close to this....
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA4N1gxNjAw/z/4jcAAMXQ9MVRiU7n/$T2eC16hHJGkFFmy-yTjBBRiU7msK3!~~/briggs-stratton-slinger-govenor-oil-691968-see-description-for-model_57.jpg

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The big hole at the top goes on the cam gear, and on the underside is teeth that ride in the cam gear teeth, and the paddles splash oil all over the interior of the engine, and that little button in the center pops out in concert with the counterweights
underneath, the faster the engine runs, the farther out the counterweights come out, but they also push that little button out in the center to push the paddle to slow the engine down that goes to the carb linkages.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did any of that help?