lawn equipment and cameras

LandN

Threads
much has been said on the subject of where to buy mowers and trimmers etc. whether to buy at the big box store or from the dealer that also services them(unless you choose to repair your own).well cameras are no different, i bought one at walmart a few weeks back, and developed a very minor issue with it ,figured i'd exchange it for another at walmart but my 15 days were up and no exchange.so i went to an independant camera servicing dealer, first thing he says is were did you buy it from,...well, i know this is a worthless trip now. did not resolve the issue,still no huge deal, but while i was waiting my turn in line i looked at all the signage in his store promoting to buy and promote the little guy who services after the sale.so basically if you dont mind fixing(hopefully) what you bought,take a chance at the big box stores. if you want the service and attention and being taken care of, buy at the local dealer..........but then wait up here,sometimes the bigger stores STARTED out as the smaller guy and just grew bigger over time..... lawn mowers, cameras, appliances,household stuff ,whatever it is, the choice is ours.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I might add ...
Even though most retailers do not service everything that they sell....
Any authorized dealer will generally do service work.
Also many, many independent shops are more than able to do most any service work that may come along.
The savings at the larger retailers should not be overlooked for the implied service that may be needed after the sale... Especially if the implied, suggests that no service could be found anywhere...
There are millions of reasons that millions of people are buying from the larger retailers... :smile:KennyV

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
The last camera store within a hundred miles of me closed about 15 years ago.

Theres another thing you have to consider - proponents of dealerships tell you that you get service after the sale. Well, the people who bought Olympus and Pentax from this last of the dying breed 16 years ago, were just plain up s--t's creek if they had a problem. They also payed good GOOD money for this stuff.

As for Lawn mowers, what about those "little guys" selling Snappers, WH, LB, Bolens, etc., and if he goes under, you have to travel loads of miles to find another dealer. If you can find one at all. So, your warranty is only as solid as the dealership. The "service after the sale" is only as solid as the business you bought from. So, don't treat every dealer in every p---hole in the snow like its some kinda constant, because it's not. Not that you were - LandN - mind you, just a statement. We just tend to have a mentality that little is good - big is bad. Not always, in either case!

Around here, dealerships sprout up and fold faster than the weather changes.

LandN

Threads
The last camera store within a hundred miles of me closed about 15 years ago.

Theres another thing you have to consider - proponents of dealerships tell you that you get service after the sale. Well, the people who bought Olympus and Pentax from this last of the dying breed 16 years ago, were just plain up s--t's creek if they had a problem. They also payed good GOOD money for this stuff.

As for Lawn mowers, what about those "little guys" selling Snappers, WH, LB, Bolens, etc., and if he goes under, you have to travel loads of miles to find another dealer. If you can find one at all. So, your warranty is only as solid as the dealership. The "service after the sale" is only as solid as the business you bought from. So, don't treat every dealer in every p---hole in the snow like its some kinda constant, because it's not. Not that you were - LandN - mind you, just a statement. We just tend to have a mentality that little is good - big is bad. Not always, in either case!

Around here, dealerships sprout up and fold faster than the weather changes.
yes,good point twall about some dealers closing up in some areas of the country,as i have seen 2 go under way back when. 1 guy retired and went to florida and the other guy just decided not to expand with the times.but i'm lucky enough to have a good dealer that did evolve with the industry and another who is bigger yet with 2 stores.i do understand the headache of areas that have lack of dealer issues.

mystreba

Threads
It seems totally situational. In some cases it makes sense to buy big, in others it doesn't. I absolutely hate camera stores and avoid them like the plague. In my experience they are overpriced and loaded with snobby people who won't give you the time of day unless you're spending over $1k. Which is a phenomenon I find puzzling - small businesses rarely seem to have the "friendly service" you'd expect.

When I first moved out here to the "country" I made a point of buying all my lumber and home-improvement materials from the local hardware store. After five years spending thousands, I still never get a "Hello" when I walk in. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but to me that's the biggest reason to shop small - friendly service, recognition, appreciation. I'm not getting it there, so I drive to the big-box hardware stores now. I don't get it there either, but they always have what I want and it's generally cheaper.

Same thing with the local general store. I guess you have to shop there ten years before someone recognizes you - five years apparently isn't enough. I only go there now if I absolutely have to.

Same thing with one of the local beer/wine stores. They're overpriced but have a good selection. I've been in there a hundred times, yet each time I walk through the door it's like I'm a complete stranger. Walked in the other day and said "Hello" to the guy behind the counter. He looks up from his paperwork and goes right back to it without a word. I turned on my heels, walked right out and haven't returned since.

I find the occasional small store where I'm recognized and appreciated for my repeat business, and I tend to be very loyal to those stores.

Bottom line, I shop where my business is appreciated. Price is secondary.