GCV160LA0 S3A Engine Not Starting Question

Steve L.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Purchased a Troy-Bilt Troy-Bilt TB130 160-cc from Lowes last spring Model #: 11A-B2AQ711 and has run like a champ until last Friday.
Mowed grass two weeks earlier mower ran fine, I tried to use it this past Friday and would not start. Checked the spark plug and it was black and I knew I was close
so I replaced it with a new one and it seemed to almost catch but only sputtered. I check and cleaned air filter. I called a Honda Serv. Ctr. and talk to a rep who
told me that even though it may still be under warranty that they had been mostly seeing Ethanol issues and Honda was not honoring fuel issues.

Now since day one, I have used the fuel stabilizer every gas purchase, purchase in small quantities and shook the gas can before every fill up. But from what I've read
Ethanol is brutal on small engines. When I replaced the spark plug, since it had been two weeks I disposed of the small amount of gas I had in the gas can, drained the
Carburetor and fuel tank and started fresh. Also I run Premium Grade to get the best Octane. So please let me know if this is over kill and regular grade is okay.

So I pretty sure I'm getting a spark, fuel is getting to the Carburetor but if it is an Ethanol issue, what problems are past the Carburetor if any? Could it just be the Carburetor?
Do I need to pull the air cleaner housing and get the number of the old Carburetor or do I just use the Honda model/serial number to order a replacement Carburetor and Gaskets?

One thing I did notice last time was a backfire during one of my starts after emptying the grass clipping bag. It did do that a couple of times last season but no pattern.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Will it start without the air cleaner installed. I have seen water, oil, gas get the filter wet and even after drying will act like the choke is on. Black plug indicates running rich which could be a carb issue, but could also indicate a clogged air filter.

Try draining the carb, and see if there is any water or other debris comes out.

Steve L.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the reply. I will try your suggestions and let you know.

Much appreciated!

Steve

Steve L.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, air filter was the culprit. I had already drained the Carburetor and the fuel tank on Saturday when I replaced the
sparkplug and blew out the air filter with compressed air. But received the new air filter today, installed and it started up
right away and ran fine for ten minutes. Thank you again for the advice. Validates my Honda confidence once again.

Have a good day!